Stamford local history

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 7 November 2001 11.32pm
As the landlord of The Stamford Arms I have recently been trying to find out the age and history of my pub and its name. Can anyone help me out? I know there's been a building on this site since the mid 19th century, but the modern one looks early thirties to me. As for the name it obviously comes from the address, but where does that originate. There's no sign of Stamford Street on John Roche's map of 1769 and yet we're a main thoroughfare by 1827. Any ideas or inspiration gratefully accepted.
Jan
Saturday 17 November 2001 8.27am
We used to go the the department at Southwark council that dealt with sewers and drains as they would naturally have a map of new properties and their sewage outpoints. that may date the building for you.
. If the property was built prior to the war they may have microfilched them.
I went about ten years ago to Walworth Road to check where the sewers where because we had a problem with rats at the back of the house and was shown very old documents. What we really need in Southwark is a return of the old Highways Department and someone with a working knowledge of the area.....ah the good old days.....there I go lost in the mists of time again! best thing is to approach South London Press and appeal to their readers, there may be an old employee out there with a good memory...
Thursday 29 April 2004 7.24pm
Roland are you still Landlord of The Stamford, I am 60 this year and used to go there with my Grandfather when I was a toddler, I have asked my Dad what he knows so chances are he might come up with something. Heather
Thursday 29 April 2004 10.11pm
Heather

Unless Roland is a particularly patient lurker it might make more sense to e-mail him (or pop into the pub!).

I think that was his one and only post (at least under that guise!)

PS He might not want to know the history. Although Charles Booth's poverty map shows most of the houses in Stamford Street as being occupied by those who are "Fairly Comfortable. Good ordinary earnings", Booth's survey notebook for May 1899 states:

Stamford St (3 1/2 st(oreys) + attic: great many prostitutes living here: hotels are places of accomodation: some are little more than brothels; girls live in them, walk out & bring men back to them: there have not been so many foreign prostitutes since the 'act against (?) 'The most disreputable hotels are west of Waterloo Road, but some almost as bad E of it.

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/notebooks/b363/jpg/55.html

Post edited (29 Apr 04 22:36)
Friday 30 April 2004 2.35pm
Try the local history library at the back of the John Harvard library in Borough High Street - you will find everything you need there!!!

Jenny

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: