Fashion museum latest...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 21 February 2003 12.46pm
I have just read in Designweek that the inaugural exhibition/opening of the museum in Bermondsey Street is scheduled for 12th May this year. The exhibition will feature 70 favourite dresses from the pick of the fashion industry. Its great news that it looks like it will finally open- I cant find out any more detailed info on their website http://www.ftmlondon.org/index.htm but it certainly sounds promising...

does anyone know more?

MM
Sunday 11 May 2003 11.29am
Its always a shame when you see so many people queuing up for the London Dungeon, when there is a much more interesting (and historically accurate) museum a few doors down. Whilst I fully understand that the average European school-kid probably has more interest in the gratuitous blood and gore of LD than in the more harrowing blood and gore of the Second World War, nevertheless I can't help but think that the signage when you come out of the Tooley Street exit of London Bridge station does not help matters. Now that Zandra's potentially excellent fashion museum is about to open to the public, surely it is about time that Southwark council put the minimum investment needed into a couple of pedestrian signs, making the public aware of these two other museums within walking distance. Lets face it, if you are a tourist strolling along Tooley Street, you are unlikely to walk down the long tunnel to get to Bermondsey street where Zandra's museum is, unless you already know exactly where you are going. That long railway tunnel does not look tempting to the average tourist, but I am sure if there was a sign saying "fashion museum 250 yards" is might inspire a few more people. And lets face it, the council should be supporting the continued cultural success of museums, regardless of whether they are in the public or private sectors.

-MM- The Nature of Monkey was Irrepressible.
Monday 12 May 2003 5.44pm
Really good point- the railway arches are pretty threatening to those who dont use them regularly- pretty bleak for those who do! the london bridge vaults look fantastic, and the brickwork under these arches are amazing. bermondsey street is a great example of londons mixed architecture anyway, and the more we can encourage non locals to use the cafe's, museums, shops etc, the more the likelihood they will open at the weekend...

on a positive note, southwark council have cleaned/lit up a railway arch near abbey road leading to jamaica road which is great. spa road one is still pretty murky though.
Tuesday 13 May 2003 4.32pm
MM you refer to a museum about WWII. What museum is this?
MM
Tuesday 13 May 2003 4.45pm
Hi, Peter-

The "Britain at War Experience" is a truly excellent museum. Indeed, for my money, it is one of the best museums in SE1. Unlike the Imperial War Museum, which has an admittedly impressive displays of tanks and so forth, this museum focuses primarily on the effect that WW2 had on daily life. As the Lonely Planet guide to London puts it "its a tribute to ordinary people, rather than heroes and statesmen". Its on Tooley Street. Suffice to say, I took my (war-generation) parents to it a while ago, and the final, war-damaged room brought back memories for them that brought tears to their eyes. But its an essential visit, whether you have lived through a war or not, if only to be reminded about what living through a war actually means for the ordinary people who experience it.

-MM- The Nature of Monkey was Irrepressible.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: