Advertising on Imax

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Sunday 16 April 2006 6.39pm
I see that they are going to use the exterior of the Imax as a giant billboard. Seems rather a shame. The orginal idea was to commission an artist to produce a new scheme for the building each year, but the current painted design (behind the glass) has been the only one. I rather object to every surface being covered in ads.
Sunday 16 April 2006 8.19pm
I do too. I thought the underneath of London Bridge Station, with the cleaned up brick arches, was a rather lovely space, until it got covered with adverising hoardings and filled with stalls. I suppose it was premature of me to think that Network Rail had decided to create a nice environment for its passengers - I should have been more cynical.
Monday 17 April 2006 2.43pm
Is this just a temporary hoarding (under the 28 day rule) promoting V for Vendetta???

I can't see any sign of a planning application for a permanent hoarding which would definitely require planning consent - the IMAX is within the Waterloo Conservation Area.
Monday 17 April 2006 3.30pm
LR - see here:

There will be 12m-high banners on the north and south side from June, according to Media Week.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 17 April 2006 9.18pm
I sincerely hope that this gets stopped by Lambeth's planners as a test case.

If the BFI do go ahead with this, shouldn't they have to pay back the Arts Council the (lottery???) grant they originally got to put the Howard Hodgkin "mural" there.
Tuesday 18 April 2006 8.00pm
How crass! imagine walking over waterloo bridge to the sight of that.

The imax always struck me as a building that you'd have no idea was a building if you didnt already know what it was - with its lack of visible entry points. now it will just look like an advertsing hoarding.
Saturday 3 June 2006 12.52pm
Cycling past today I see that the Hodgkin mural has now been replaced by a Nike wraparound.

It could be worse, but it still seems a shame.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 6 June 2006 11.13am
Personally I find it intrusive and awful that a public building like the Imax should be wrapped in advertising, especially when it replaces an artwork.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 6 June 2006 11.16am
It is horrible isn't it? It must draw in massive revenue to Imax though so I can understand why they've done it.
Wednesday 7 June 2006 1.26pm
I think it is disgusting.

AND I have reasonably senior contacts with BFI, with whom I am working to develop a project at present - and I'll be sure to tell them.

Have we established whetehr they are allowed to so it under planning permissions / Arts Council grant stipulations ?

I bet it will be there just for the World Cup, thereby being temporary - which is OK I suppose as long as it does not establish a precedent
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: