Crime in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 18 April 2006 7.57am
Yesterday at approx 5pm near where I live I saw two young lads acting rather suspiciously while parked up sitting on their sky blue scooter. I watched them for several minutes , they saw me and moved off, as they did I saw one of them who was the passenger had hold of a very large set of bolt cutters. I kept a watch out and very soon they returned. They went up and down the road then stopped , they both got off the scooter and approached a bike chained up. They were about to use the bolt cutters when I shouted out at them they casually got back on the scooter and rode off. The passenger on the scooter kept his feet bent round as to cover the number plate. Three neigbours came out and they informed me that they had seen them hanging around for sometime. They guy who owned the bike took it in.
There have been two other ocassions in the last three weeks when Iv'e witmesed attempted car/bike theft in my street..
I didn't call they police as my experience of calling the police in the past hasn't been very good. I called them out when a neighbours house was being broken into at 6pm,.When I called 999 the number was too busy to take my call the operater redirected my call to the local police number and all I got was a finger typing person wanting to know what colour the sky was . The police turned up an hour later if they had come out straight away they would have caught the person. The person who broke into the house walked away as if nothing had happend. In the time I was on the phone he got into the house, had a look round and climbed back out the window in broke to get in. I gave the person who was finger typing a running commentry of what was happening but this didnt appear to hurry him.
So now Ifind a very loud Oi moves the thieving buggers on.
Tuesday 18 April 2006 8.35am
This should go into the "Muggings on Monday night" thread. Trouble is, most of us arent leaning out of our windows spotting people with bold cutters in order to say "Oi!!" Actually I think I would be less polite than "Oi!".
Tuesday 18 April 2006 9.44am
Scooter - just curious as to which street you witnessed this on?
Wednesday 19 April 2006 7.17pm
Unfortunately I have became a victim of crime last night, I was broken into and my beautiful bike was stolen.
Wednesday 19 April 2006 10.44pm
Sorry to hear your latest Scooter - as Jackie said, this links to the ongoing crime in the area. Your experience of the police simply supports what VicD, myself and a few others have related - problem is that if you make formal complaints about the police they make your life misery ... there are many well publicised incidences of this but nothing changes. When did the police ever fulfil their promise to be 'Public Servants'?
Thursday 20 April 2006 7.22am
Scooter, I'm sorry to hear about your theft too. I had 2 motorbikes stolen in February. The person I reported it to at Southwark police station didn't even know the correct procedure, which was a bit surprising given the number of vehicles that must be stolen round here. He told me I couldn't report the crime "properly" without the V5, which is just wrong.

A word of sympathy would have been nice - I was pretty upset as it's the third time it's happened, but he was totally uninterested - except in telling me that I couldn't even report the crime! I'm still thinking about writing to complain and/or suggest that they could try to catch the people who keep stealing my bikes by setting a bait with a CCTV camera. There are other bikes parked outside my block of flats, but it's always mine that get nicked. I assume that there's a gang that steal to order.

I know that my losses aren't that terrible, but if I was the victim of a serious crime I really wouldn't want to have to report it to the person who dealt with my bike theft.
Thursday 20 April 2006 11.32am
Between 4pm on Thursday 13th and 4pm Sunday 16th my brand new Yamaha R6 (black sports bike) was stolen from the apartment garage below Guillard Homes on Long Lane. This is a slightly bigger bike to steal than a scooter but I imagine these people know what they are doing. If anyone saw anything unusual between those dates such as someone walking a bike down the street with its alarm blaring, without a helmet, looking out of place, not wearing the correct protective clothing. etc.. please let me know on 07921573671. Thanks
Thursday 20 April 2006 1.14pm
Blair, go and have a look on the Aylesbury or Heygate....but to be honest it don't sound like a joyrider excercise if they broke into your garage...:-(
Thursday 20 April 2006 5.47pm
Just to add to the above my partner reported to the police a crime being carried out on Tuesday 18th I.e a black Honda CBR 600 being stolen, the police came out but by the time they arrived they group of 4 thieves had left the bike leaning against a wall.
My partner then saw them again and called the police. The police phoned my partner approx 45 minutes later and informed my partner that they had spoken to the itentified group and had spoken to them severley. End of investigation!

I would like to say to Blair & SEH that I am sorry about your experiences I feel the theft of bikes isn't given any more priority than J walking.

I would like to say to Jan the Old one , I live on a very nice street but you dont have to go to the Heygate or Aylesbury these antiscocial thieving scum live very near by.
Thursday 20 April 2006 6.02pm
Scooter. Were these bikes locked in any way? (Asking as a concerned bike owner) Were the people trying to ride/wheel them away, or did they have a van?

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: