Good cobblers!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 21 April 2006 8.45am
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good cobblers - I have a couple of pairs of shoes with tricky heels that aren't a standard shape so need somewhere good to reheel them - I've used the one on TBR in the past and they're ok but not, IMHO, up to this ... I am even prepared to leave SE1...!!!
Friday 21 April 2006 8.49am
Q: Where does a cobbler live?

A: In The Cobbler's Nest (Borough High St. Between Blue Eyed Maid and Belushis)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 21 April 2006 8.52am
But is he good? Have you had tricky heeled shoes done? Or has the Mrs I?
Friday 21 April 2006 8.56am
To be fair, most of mine are just your average slinky mules, and I keep Mrs I barefoot and chained to the stove most of the time, as you well know.

[tongue likely to be slapped to the other side of my face if she thought that I was serious for a second]

Friday 21 April 2006 9.08am
I agree that the one on TBR is not very good. The very best I know, if indeed you are prepared to cross the river (!), is on Paddington Street, corner Baker Street in W1. The Jubilee Line brings you straight to Baker Street and from the tube it is a 3 minute walk. They are excellent!
Monday 24 April 2006 11.32am
[quote Julie]Does anyone have a recommendation for a good cobblers - I have a couple of pairs of shoes with tricky heels that aren't a standard shape so need somewhere good to reheel them - I've used the one on TBR in the past and they're ok but not, IMHO, up to this ... I am even prepared to leave SE1...!!![/quote
I have no hesitation in recommending the Cobblers Nest on Borough High Street. Personal, polite and friendly service....and, what's more, a thoroughly professional job at a reasonable price. I took a pair of favourite boots in there which I thought were lost forever and they came back literally as good as new. Fantastic!!
Monday 24 April 2006 11.46am
I recently had 2 pairs of shoes re-heeled - and re-stitched (one was a particularly exotic design and required skill).

After getting 4 wildly varying quotes ranging from 70 to 30 for the re-heeling alone I settled on what I felt most comfortable with - going outside of London into the real world and supporting an old fashioned cobbler working with his real hands and some conversation.

However Whittakers, 1 Mill Lane, Beverley, East Yorkshire may be too far for you to go - I kind of wish I had asked the same question you had on this Forum !

He WAS excellent though, 22 and they were both cleaned throroughly - and he even gave me soem feedback as to my gait.

If you want his number let me know
Monday 24 April 2006 12.28pm
Tom. Long shot, but you're not a Hull FC fan are you?

Monday 24 April 2006 12.33pm
No - I support Gillingham and Marseille (at the same time).

I am more of a football PLAYER (in defence of my questionable dual allegiance)
Monday 24 April 2006 12.45pm
Never mind. Worth a try.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: