How pompous are you?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 21 April 2006 2.45pm
When asked I always say I live in The Borough - and I'm a pleb.

ES Magazine today - A Londoner's Diary page5
Author James Scudamore on food obsessives at Borough Market.
He says 'he now lives in Bermondsey (or London Bridge, or Borough, or The Borough depending on how pompously you want to position yourself) and loves the variety of life'

Another quote from article:
'Having smugly chortled to myself for some time about the kind of people you see gleefully teeming round the wild boar sausages at Borough Market, I realised people were probably thinking very similar thoughts about me. The place attracts the kind of customers who will gladly exchange their left arm for the right kind of artichoke, or remortgage their house for a haunch of hand-reared acorn-fed, lovingly slaughtered pig'.

Definately an author!
Friday 21 April 2006 2.51pm
I've got so used to people saying "Where?" when I say I live in Borough, that if they're nice people I then explain to them where it is and if they're not I tell them "Elephant" (which is generally enough to never hear from them again)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 21 April 2006 3.12pm
With Tradesmen I always say London Bridge - mention of Tower Bridge and their eyes start spinning with signs.
Friday 21 April 2006 4.53pm
I'm even worse - I live in what I would call Southwark (I live on Blackfriars Road) but I have to say 'The South Bank' to people who ask me.
Friday 21 April 2006 8.44pm
I proudly say Elephant and Castle and watch their faces fall in horror. Bugger 'em, snotty lot! I also tell them I'm a refugee from Belgravia. Actually I live in a rather nice flat with a good view, so I dont care at all what anyone thinks.
Friday 21 April 2006 10.01pm
When I was little I watched the news on Dutch television and when the correspondent in London was on, you could see Tower Bridge on the background. I was fascinated by that bridge and London. I went there for the first time when I was twelve with Mother and Grandmother. Tower Bridge was even more impressive than I thought- and it was a delight.
When people ask where I live, I proudly say 'Tower Bridge Road'.
Saturday 22 April 2006 7.40am
Me to, and get the question, "How can you afford that then"??

That's my business!!!!
Saturday 22 April 2006 12.35pm
Actually guys, it's The Borough
Saturday 22 April 2006 4.32pm
I have said pompously Bankside before (the council insists this is Bankside & Borough) but as Southwark tube is next door that name is starting to get recognised as an area as well, not just the borough.
Sunday 23 April 2006 8.02am
I'm with you Jackie. If people think less of me because I live at the Elephant then that is their problem. I do often say to non-Londoners 'Near the Imperial War Museum' because that often helps them to locate where I am but that sometimes makes it worse since I have lots of trendy lefty friends who are appalled that I should frequent such an institution! Again, that it their problem. I too have a nice flat, good neighbours and feel safe here so what more could a body want? Let's here it for the Elephant!
Beverly.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: