Pavement Parking

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
jac
Sunday 9 March 2003 9.40pm
Am I the only person who finds parking on pavements completely unacceptable. Southwark Council certainly don't mind. They will not give a parking ticket to any vehicle that manages to get all four wheels clear of the kerb, since they may be on private property.

Last week I was forced off a zebra crossing at St Georges Circus by a Mercedes estate using it as a driveway to get around the barrier fencing and onto the 'private' paved area outside the old shops, - and this is when I am taking my two children to the primary school opposite. And for the last two days a large estate car has been parked across the pavement outside the printworks development in Long Lane, forcing anyone with a buggy into the road.

These are extreme examples, but there is a culture of squeezing a car into any bit of spare pavement, which is both dangerous and antisocial

This does not happen in the borough of Westminster where I work. Why do we put up with it here?
Monday 10 March 2003 11.10am
Aahh... for the good old days when large bassinet prams could scratch the paintwork of any d####head parking inconsiderately on the pavement.......
Monday 10 March 2003 9.42pm
Maybe it's time to confront it! I've had similar experiences on St Georges Circus where the pub has closed down and the fence was knocked down in a fatal accident. The gap is used for these pavement parkers driving up onto the pavement and parking in front of the old pub - and if something's not done, it will end up in another fatality!

Is this something that our action group could tackle do you think?
Wednesday 12 March 2003 8.04pm
Pavement parking is not only inconsiderate, but can cause accidents not only to pedestrians, but also to other road users. It's another case of a motorists attitude of "sod you i'm all right". They are the same people who think speed limits only apply to other people. Being blind, I find it very difficult not to purposely damage a vehicle parked on the pavement. It reminds me of a story I heard may years ago. A family were visiting the seaside and had bought a new bucket and spade for a small child who, when walking aolong scraped the shiny metal spade along the side of a shiny new Mercedes which had parked on the pavement. the mum said to the child, "Be careful, I paid a lot of money for that spade.
Jai
Thursday 13 March 2003 9.27am
Mr. Williams, now there's a good example of good humor that offense few...

Varkenslachter
Wednesday 2 April 2003 3.50pm
Glad to see I am not the only person who finds this sort of behaviour outrageous.

What really gets me is if you remonstrate with these selfish morons, they usually say something about being there only for a few minutes.

As if breaking the law is OK as long as you only do it briefly.

"Yes, we have looted the contents of this shop, but it doesn't count because it was all over in 30 seconds"

"Yes, I am trafficking heroin, but it's OK because I'll have finished in a couple of minutes"

"Yes, I have just murdered someone, but I was only doing it for a minute"

We need zero tolerance for this sort of thing, but that presupposes that the authorities are prepared to devote some resources to it.

P.
Saturday 12 April 2003 10.36pm
Have you also noticed an increased prevalence of motorbikes on the pavements, bin bags over their number plates and tax discs removed? This way, they can't get a ticket as the traffic wardens are apparently not allowed to remove the bin bag to get the reg number (that would constitute interfering with the property), and the owners argue that they have removed the tax disc to stop it getting nicked.

My thoughts on this matter - knock the blessed machine over. A cracked engine on his or her Ducati might make them think twice about parking across the pavement in future.

J R Hartley
(now an occassional visitor to SE1)
Monday 14 April 2003 11.50am
I too found out recently that motorbikes cannot be given a ticket if they cover their number plates when I complained about a new self made motorbike park in our street.

When I asked if I could park my car on the pavement completely off the road & cover my plates I was told that they can remove cars but not bikes. The highway code certainly doesn't have different rules on parking as far as I can tell.

Confession: On the first day I crept across the street, hid behind a lorry and took the helmet cover off the number plates then ran back to the house and rang the traffic wardens. Although they go a ticket that day they now use full motorcycle covers.

Surely the council have authority to put a notice on the bike and authorise it for removal, number plate or not. I'm pretty sure other councils wouldn't stand for it and it's obvious that they know a loophole and are taking advantage of it.

Also, why do they turn on their engines and then put on their helmets, gloves, have a chat with their mates for 10 mins and then hoot when they burn off up the street? Grrrrrrrr.

I am still waiting for the council to do something after four weeks in respect of this in our street. If you see cars parked on the pavement though you can call 02075252052 and they will send a team of wardens round, they've always arrived promptly when I have contacted them.

Rachel

Monday 14 April 2003 7.30pm
I have noticed that illegally parked vehicles seem to hang around for anything up to a few days in Southwark. In Croydon where I work the tow vehicles literally patrol the streets and if you leave your car for even a few minutes, the likelyhood is it will be gone when you return, no ticket, no warning.
Jay
Tuesday 15 April 2003 9.58am
has anyone noticed a mini parked outside the boarded up pub at st george's circus? it's not bothering me at all, but just wondered if it stays there for weeks at a time... everytime i walk past it seems to be there!!

maybe this is what Jenny was talking about.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: