Urban Foxes in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Thursday 27 April 2006 8.48pm
While walking from Borough Market recently my wife and I were startled by a small red fox crossing Union Street at the intersection a short distance ahead. A few moments later a man appeared, holding back his leashed dog who was apparently anxious to give chase to the fox. As we were quite surprised, he explained to us that the animal was one of many "Urban Fox" that lived nearby. I since "googled" up a couple of interesting links that SE1 Forum readers might enjoy:

http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/environment/animal_welfare/urbanfoxes.php
http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/urbanwt/WIS_pages/Foxes.htm
Thursday 27 April 2006 9.08pm
I saw one by Tower Bridge.I also saw a squiral on unin street.
Thursday 27 April 2006 10.28pm
Fox sightings are not at all unusual around here - there have been various reports of them spotted trotting around the market, over London Bridge and exploring the small bits of greenery dotted amongst local estates. I saw one recently near Guys Hospital.

As for squirrels - they are all over London, and are a very common part of the urban environment.
Friday 28 April 2006 12.23am
Nelson Square has often foxes prowling, and loads of squirrels that now have taken to scaling the walls of the blocks of flats! One made me jump, staring at me just outside my balcony, somebody has been feeding them on their balconies. Also I have found my inner twitcher after a pair of crows made their nest high up in one of the trees in the square. Hard to believe that I am in very central London sometimes!
Friday 28 April 2006 12.54am
I used to see loads of foxes around Long Lane last year, but haven't seen any in months! Hope they're OK and haven't been driven off by poor pickings in these parts.
Friday 28 April 2006 1.18am
There's one that lives in the old Potters Fields Coach Park too, it often wanders around Tooley Street at night.
Friday 28 April 2006 1.51am
There is one that frequents the streets south of New Kent Rd, near the housing estate with the Church.
Friday 28 April 2006 9.25am
When I used to live on Webber Street, I was watching tv one evening when I though I was being watched. It was nearly dark, but I'd not closed the curtains, and looking out of the patio doors into the carpark, there was an extremely mangy fox staring in at me.
Friday 28 April 2006 9.55am
I quite often see the fox on Webber Street in the evening, although he's been looking a bit more bedraggled of late. He's obviously a member of the Tufty Club as he always crosses the road on the zebra crossing by the school!

I always wonder where they sleep, because foxes are normally pretty keen on privacy and undisturbed spots and I'm not sure you'd get that in any parks or gardens around central London, but they obviously manage some how.
Friday 28 April 2006 10.05am
Have seen urban foxes trotting along Alma Grove on a number of occassions. And there are plenty of squirrels in my garden who streal the bird nuts!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: