Horrible Happenings down the road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
jackie rokotnitz Monday 1 May 2006 9.21am
An SE1 man has been burned to death by a firebomber in his convenience store just down the road in Kennington. What ARE we to do about this sort of thing? Could it possibly have been prevented?
phoney Monday 1 May 2006 11.30am
According to the news reports, this is the third attack by the same man.
Probably turn out to be someone on a 'care in the community' scheme. There is no way to prevent this
rare type of incident, short of permanently locking up everyone who shows any type of anti-social behaviour.
I have always thought the worst way to die must be by burning. The pain must be incredible. Must check
my smoke alarm is in full working order!
loafer Monday 1 May 2006 3.22pm
My guess is it is someone enforcing a protection racket built on fear.

Horrible, and not far from where I live.

Regards,

Loafer
phoney Monday 1 May 2006 10.32pm
Didn't think of that! Good deduction loafer
There are certainly plenty of small shops in SE1 vulnerable to that kind of intimidation. The police
can't exactly keep watch 24/7. The 3 attacks reported were in broad daylight and you would have
thought if it was a protection racket of some kind the perp would have worn a balaclava or disguise
of some kind. Maybe it's someone in the fire extinguisher market.
Karene Tuesday 2 May 2006 6.15am
Was there a racial motive/element?
Karene Tuesday 2 May 2006 6.17am
Ignore my last post, i've just read the report. Thanks James
jackie rokotnitz Tuesday 2 May 2006 6.43am
It makes my blood boil, those small shops struggle so hard and work such long hours and some nutter is out to get them because it seems that it's a black man who hates Asians. Well, I'll be looking when I pass any small newagents around here. And so should we all.
phoney Tuesday 2 May 2006 10.20am
Police have arrested and are 'questioning' a 33 year old man. (But is he answering?)

Detective Superintendent Dick Heselden said: "In the absence of any other possible motive, I'm working on the basis that these are racially-motivated attacks."

If the fire bomber had been asian and "In the absence of any other possible motive," what theory
would the police be working on?
Martin Underwood Tuesday 2 May 2006 12.01pm
It wouldn't surprise me that the police describe any attack where the attacker and victim are of different races as being "racially motivated". Since the MacPherson Report, the Met has been at pains to present itself in a less "institutionally racist" light, particularly in South London.

So, immediately presenting the theory that the crime is racially motivated probably helps the Met's image (and ergo it's relationship with potential witnesses) more so than if they take the racial element on board much later.
fh Tuesday 2 May 2006 12.02pm
If the fire bomber had been asian "in the absence of any other possible motive" i assume they would have probably branded him a terrorist.

If this is the same incident that i was just watching on the news - apparently the arsonist was involved in 3 such attacks - all on asian shops/shop owners. if that is the case, racist motivation would certainly be a distinct possiblity. though of course a lot more asian shops are open at all sorts of hours which probably makes them easier targets.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions