C-charge wardens!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 16 March 2003 1.10am
Greetings to all,

I couldn't quite suppress a smile when walking up Great Dover St towards Borough station last Friday. Walking towards me were three wardens that could easily have been mistaken for parking attendents except for their headgear - a cap, similar to a police cap though without a chequered band, but instead a big red circle with a C emblazoned on it. The Congestion Cops have arrived!

Did anyone else spot these individuals? One whom I walked past smiled sheepishly as I walked by trying to look away, poorly concealing a grin. They seemed to be equipped with radios and - I think - a device with some keys on it, possibly to check on parked vehicles as to whether they've paid the charge?

Regards,

Josh

Jai
Monday 17 March 2003 7.57am
that sounds similar to the uniforms worn by German officers in the SS.

Varkenslachter
Monday 17 March 2003 9.44am
There were two in Tottenham Court Road this morning. They were wearing flourescent jackets with 'Congestion Charge Enforcement Officer' on the back. My understanding is they are part of the 'mobile' enforcement that includes the ubiquitous white van full of surveillance electronics that supplements the cameras on sticks.

Tuesday 18 March 2003 1.14pm
They seem like redundant traffic wardens to me! I've never seen them do anything but stand around in twos or threes holding things.
Tuesday 18 March 2003 1.39pm
i've seen them walk up and down as well as standing around. They're really multi talented
Tuesday 18 March 2003 3.31pm
Tell me about it! Another one was sniffing around Guy's today, actually punching some numbers into a handheld device!

Regards,

Josh

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: