Jumper on The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 3 May 2006 9.39pm
On Saturday I witnessed a suicide of a man who jumped from the 8th floor of a tower block on The Cut. About 20 police entered the flat before the man jumped. The cut was closed for about three hours afterwards (most of Saturday afternoon). I have been unable to sleep properly since then and cannot get the scene out of my mind, has anybody heard about it or could anyone let me know if the man survived?
Wednesday 3 May 2006 10.39pm
Hi, from what i've heard the man did survive. Only a broken leg. Hope my source is right. I cant believe that there is only your post on this. I can fully understand how shaken you must be feeling being a witness to such a thing. Have to see if there is anything in the SLP on it.
Thursday 4 May 2006 6.49am
Heavens! Is there any report on this incident? James will know, he knows everything. Sorry Annie, I know this kind of thing can haunt one's dreams (and indeed one's waking moments) for ever. Dont hesitate to get some help or counselling if it gets tough.
Thursday 4 May 2006 3.24pm
I hadn't heard anything about this, though I was away all weekend.

If you ever witness anything 'newsworthy' happening locally, do email me - james.hatts@banksidepress.com - or leave a message on 020 7633 0766 and we will do our best to follow up with the relevant agencies etc.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 4 May 2006 8.24pm
"Jumper on The Cut"

I thought the post was about a piece of knitwear...

Maybe it's just me, but I'm uncomforatble with the word 'jumper' for this situation it's... a bit frivolous...
Thursday 4 May 2006 10.30pm
The Virgin Helicopter Ambulance landed in the park next to the Old Vic on Saturday lunchtime - I was passing by and took a photo on my mobile as it looked so strange to see it there. (I would post the photo if I could figure out how to get it off my phone and onto my PC) Someone watching what was going on mentioned that they were there because someone got stabbed on the Cut but sounds more like it was related to this suicide attempt.
Friday 5 May 2006 5.50am
I hope the guy is enjoying his broken leg/s and feeling glad to be alive.
Friday 5 May 2006 6.18am
Does that mean that somebody didn't get stabbed on the Cut after all.... or did this happen too? Would be interested (not sure if that's the right word...!) in the details if so.
Friday 5 May 2006 7.54pm
Many thanks everyone for trying to forward information, I have not been able to find anything about it anywhere. Its quite scary to realise that all these incidents happen and are never reported, after speaking to people this week I realise that this is quite common. Jonathan, It was nevet my intention to make this incident sound frivilous, I don`t think that after witnessing an incident such as this anyone could describe what happened as that, The police actually described this incident as a jumper, (a schizophrenic who had not taken his medicine apparantely), my problem with that is why did they need 30 police in riot gear (thats not counting the normal police who were alreafy on scene), a fire engine, and two ambulances? why did they not clear the area if they knew that someone was about to jump? my daughter and I was no more than 5 meters away from where the chap landed. I hope that the man did indeed only receive a broken leg ,I would be totally amazed if that were the case.
Saturday 6 May 2006 9.57am
Having heard how close you were I can see it would affect you. That sounds very traumatic, even if the man wasn't too badly injured. And I hope your daughter is OK.

I had an incident (not a suicide attempt) in my block where more than 30 police in riot gear came, with extra vans hidden round corners. I was informed that this is the procedure when someone is armed, which can include them having picked up a household knife. It looked vastly dramatic and scary.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: