Bar for relaxed drinks after meal at Tas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 9 May 2006 10.58am
Greetings from the other side of the planet!

I'm going to be back in London briefly next week on a work trip and will be meeting some friends for a meal at Tas on Borough High Street. It's likely we're going to want to go on to somewhere close by for a drink afterwards, but having been out of the area for two and a bit years now, my recollection of where might be a decent place to go is a bit patchy.

I'd like somewhere which doesn't have music blasting away too loudly and preferably has some sofas people can lounge on. If this sounds ridiculously like the description of a Clerkenwell or Hoxton bar, apologies - not trying to worsen the SoBo effect! Even a decent 'old school' pub would be acceptable. I've already thought of the George, but wondered if there's anything else - especially with a late license. Or does everything have a late license now after the change in the law?

Cheers!

Andrew
fh
Tuesday 9 May 2006 6.03pm
We all went to Village East on Bermondsey street the other night with some of the SE1 lot - the sofas are very comfortable and there wasnt blaring music because I actually had a conversation or two. I believe they're open till late.
Tuesday 9 May 2006 7.42pm
Hi Andrew,

you could try La Cave (ex Mint Bar ) in Montague Close next to The Cathedral which is quite nice inside with a lovely cobbled courtyard outside - if you're lucky enough to choose a nice evening.Or perhaps reserve a private booth in the basement of The Southwark Tavern ?

Paul
Tuesday 9 May 2006 8.40pm
Welcome back (in anticipation) to the old country Andrew. Hope you have a good time while here.
Tuesday 9 May 2006 10.28pm
I've always liked the look of the Southwark Rooms, but never been in.

(No connection, etc.)
Wednesday 10 May 2006 8.08am
Thanks for the suggestions - and 'Hi!' Paul - really looking forward to being back, if only for a very short period.

The Southwark Rooms look like a good place, but neither the description of the place on this site, or their own website, say what the opening hours are. Does anyone know what time they normally close?

Ta!
Wednesday 10 May 2006 9.48am
12noon to 11pm Mon-Thurs
12noon to midnight Fri

Not sure if they now have a late licence [edit: or if they are still open on Saturdays - viewLondon.co.uk suggests not] - you may want to phone and ask.

My only comment on the Southwark Rooms is that it can be pretty loud and lively on a Thurs / Friday. I've often found the music too loud in the main bar area to have a proper conversation - though not earlier in the week. It's a great fun place and I'd recommend it though.
Wednesday 10 May 2006 4.46pm
We went for a few drinks at the Hop Cellar next to Southwark Tavern the other Friday and it wasn't too busy, we got a booth and it was quiet and we were able to talk.
Wednesday 10 May 2006 5.32pm
Is it nice inside, Sarah?

We went into the Hop Exchange (the big building that is above/around the Hop Cellars) during the Open House weekend and it was quite spectacular (if you like wrought iron galleries. I do) and I wondered whether the pub had any original features.

Must admit I thought it would be the sort of place that shuts at 9pm, given that it's a Davy's. I assume not (unless you were there for early-doors drinks).

Oh, and I've got to ask................

....................was it haunted ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 10 May 2006 5.37pm
Ivanhoe i used to work in the old hop exchange , it was a beautiful building, wrought iron balconies inside, in the tiny lift we even had a lift operator...and a seat!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: