Recommended builder/all-in-one refurbisher

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 12 May 2006 11.56am
Hi

Would anyone be able to recommend a builder/all-in-one refurbishment company that they have used and trust?

The work ranges from possible dampproofing of an outside 'vault' and a related amount of building work , redoing some rotten sections of wood, replacing doors, painting and decorating of a bedroom, hallway and stairs plus bathroom work/ideas i.e. a general repair and refurbishment of one floor of a two floor flat.

I especially need some advice on what is best/possible to be done with the 'vault' and bathroom.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, kies.
Q
Friday 12 May 2006 12.32pm
I hate to be negative but unfortunately I can't recommend one and can only strongly advise against going with a company called Homesales. I'd also love to give you details of why but apart from the story and list of problems being far too long for a posting there's also the small matter of a potential outstanding legal battle which I don't want to jeopardise!

Good luck in the hunt.

PS Look for NHBC qualified builders (although Homesales are...) and make sure you take out the "insurance" they are obliged to offer under NHBC rules. For something like 1-2% of the total cost (I forget the figure) they guarentee to do the work to a high standard and if you have any problems with the job they will bring in someone to mediate and ultimately find a third party to come and do the work to your standard at no additional expense to you. (apparently)
Friday 12 May 2006 1.15pm
Try to search the site. There are endless builder threads.

Though did hear that one recommendation on this site has ended up in a nasty legal mess. No idea if it is the one above. Just know the builder's partner.
Friday 12 May 2006 2.16pm
I would strongly recommend InsideOut who have done a lot of building for me and deliver excellent quality. They are SE1 based and very reliable. Telephone number of Phil is 079460489826
Friday 12 May 2006 3.45pm
My guys are great...ask several people like Jac on this Forum. If you want their number let me know.
Jac
Friday 12 May 2006 7.38pm
Yep Jackies boys are great and are currently doing a great job for a friend of mine who would also recommend them to others.
Saturday 13 May 2006 9.02am
Hi Maurits

That's good to know - they were first on my list as they're local. I have left a couple of messages on their landline but I'll give that number a try.

Cheers!

kies
Saturday 13 May 2006 12.28pm
Q wrote:
I hate to be negative but unfortunately I can't recommend one and can only strongly advise against going with a company called Homesales.

O dear, my landlord has contracted Homesales to fit kitchens and bathrooms to all flats on my estate. Are they that bad??? Please PM me, if you can.

Thank
Saturday 13 May 2006 1.38pm
i'd also recomend InsideOut - they did the electrics in our kitchen at a very reasonable rate (i brought the fixtures, and fittings, and did a fair amount of the labour, and their guy did the tricky / complicated / dangerous bits).
Saturday 13 May 2006 5.24pm
Got in touch with InsideOut and their earliest availability is about 2 months away.

Must be good then!

kies
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: