Wheel views

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 12 May 2006 4.57pm
Have you all noticed that in the few short years it's been there, the Wheel is SUCH a trendy landmark that every new development tries to get it into the background of their pics if at all possible - just noticed that now the new building at Coin St. is trying to climb on the bandwagon.(Horrid thing).
Friday 12 May 2006 4.59pm
My concern is about views FROM the wheel. If Waterloo becomes skyscraper city, you'll only be able to see a couple of hundred metres in some directions.

The 'three sisters' on the Elizabeth House site would certainly constrain views across the station and towards much of Southwark beyond.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 12 May 2006 5.28pm
What did happen to the Coin Street application. Did it get through? Did any social housing ever get added?

I probably should look it up, but know James and Rabbie will know.

*** blushes ***

I have now seen James' article. What happened. I thought they were taking it to planning ages ago. Have they revised their plans, or did they hope that a new administration would be kinder.

Sarah
Friday 12 May 2006 5.30pm
They've only just put the application in:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2164

I couldn't find it on the Lambeth database though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 12 May 2006 8.39pm
Its not a good looking building,Its in a bad location in
southwark for a tall building ,and its not in a good location.
for affecting views from the rest of London.

basically its crap.
Monday 15 May 2006 8.28am
Micky

Its in Lambeth!

Sarah
Monday 15 May 2006 9.58pm
I realised that after I wrote it. But It doesn't make the building any better.
Tuesday 16 May 2006 10.35am
I agree with James. It will be interesting to see how any oppostion to the 'three sisters' application is articulated. I would have thought the owners would (unlike local residents and many pressure groups) have access to enough funds to mount a sustained challenge to the proposals if they choose to.

Although a relatively recent additon to London's skyline the wheel is undoubtedly already one of the 'icons' of London. I wonder whether its lack of history and historical significance and (perceived) temporary nature will count against it when the application is considered.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: