Local cricket clubs?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 15 May 2006 9.47pm
Does anyone know of any local(ish) cricket teams looking for new players? The emphasis would be on getting a game though I am a useful bowler/fielder. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Monday 22 May 2006 4.39pm
Have you tried it Blackheath Cricket Club? It's not as far as it seems ... depends which side of SE1 you're on but it's easy from Tower Bridge end ...
Wednesday 24 May 2006 6.57am
If you want practice, there are some, fairly ropey, nets in Archbishops Park. There is a lot happening with community cricket at Kennington Park, near the Oval. I have not been following it closely, but understand that a cricket pitch and some sort of pavillion was being developed.

Councils - you could try Southwark and Lambeth websites, or the sports officers, who will have contacts for most of the sports clubs in the respective boroughs. Also the Sports Action Zone, which is run out of South Bank Employers Group offices will be aware of what is happening in the area.

I would also expect that old boys associations of schools such as Alleyns, Dulwich College and Emmanuel, have cricket teams, and may well allow a few ringers. There should be links through the various school websites.

In terms of kids cricket, the Oval run a couple of good indoor courses on Saturdays and Sundays over the winter. (They come with a lot of add-ons like access to a fair number of Surrey games through the summer. I also understand that there is quite a lot going on in Kennington Park, but need to find out more. There is also some chance of indoor cricket this winter at the, quite amazing, old-Lilian Baylis School sports facilities. (Just put a pool in and north Lambeth would have the Leisure Centre that it needs.)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: