Sainsburys Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 19 March 2003 2.19pm
Anyone been yet since it opened at 9am this morning? Tell all.
Wednesday 19 March 2003 8.49pm

I am more than willing to inflict my opinion on you. I made a special detour on my trip back from Senate House today to drop in to Sainsbury's Local.

Simply, it's just a slightly smaller than normal Sainsbury's Local. It doesn't have a freezer cabinet, be forewarned, hence no Quorn products (but there were meats of various description - don't ask, I don't know!)

Product selection was average for a Local, comprised of some best-sellers and middle-of-the-road products that will appeal to all. Nine checkouts fed by the usual infuriating autovoice that called "Checkout number eight, please!" in that sing-song way... grr...but still, a huge queue quickly built up. Chatting to the checkout operator, he did say it had been very busy and agreed that they had a prime position! (He forgot to ask if I wanted cashback or had a Nectar card though!!)

They also had a sandwich bar just inside the entrance with a big emphasis on "Be Good to Yourself" branded sandwiches but a very poor vegetarian selection at a first glance. They also had a token bakery area with one or two ovens. Nothing was baking at 8 pm though, a few loaves were keeping warm inside. A decent range of ready meals which ought to be big sellers, but again, very very poor vegetarian selection. Fruit and veg was nothing to write home about.

Price-wise, I didn't think it was more expensive than other Locals, though my perception is that they are generally more expensive than regular out-of-town Sainsbury stores (and possibly Centrals). This one should do well because of the passing traffic to Waterloo and (possibly) students from King's, given the proximity to two of our buildings.

As an aside, their bagels are being sold as Canadian Bagels rather than American...I wonder why??

PS their cookies are still American!

Thursday 20 March 2003 9.07am
i went there last night and it was crap. staff who didnt have a clue, no freezer section , the longest queue ive ever seen reaching to the back of the shop and a lack of fresh pastries.

All in all, crap. I walked backto my house and decided not to venture back till it was a quiet time.

By the way Raj i live VERY close to Kings halls of residence.. r u at kings ?
Thursday 20 March 2003 10.54am
Has the Marks and Spencers one opened at Waterloo yet?

Live fairly close to Great Dover Street Hall - is that where you're talking about?

Maybe an SE1 night at the Roebuck is in order?
Thursday 20 March 2003 2.26pm

I stuck my head in today and spotted a couple of Quorn products on the right at the back above cooked meats.
Thursday 20 March 2003 10.30pm
Yes, the Roebuck is indeed my local so it might be nice to see some people there.

Thanks for the Quorn update - very useful: I'm reluctant in general to look closely at the meats section, so it's handy to know that someone has looked and they're there! Maybe it's because I mentioned it to the cashier (although he didn't have any idea of what I was talking about!).

Friday 21 March 2003 6.55pm
Why are you people all so obsessed about the arrival of another Bloody Supermarket on your doorsteps ?

A new Sainsbury outlet - WHO CARES !!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: