Demolition of 1 Westminster Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Thursday 25 May 2006 6.32am
Well Kitreno's pic. is very nice indeed...it should only have looked so good.
Thursday 25 May 2006 10.59am
Pics: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2182

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 25 May 2006 2.49pm
Good riddance to an ugly concrete bunker. I've been trying to imagine grey concrete and orange blinds - it sounds horrendous.

Can someone ask the demolition machine to start work on York House behind it when it's finished chewing up 1 Westminster Bridge.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 5.27pm
Is it just me or have they just demolished a teeny but for the cameras to coincide with their countdown but not actually gotten around to doing any major demolition yet?

(I walk by twice a day but haven't noticed any particular progress yet.)
Tuesday 30 May 2006 5.51pm
It certainly appears that way! They may be doing things that are essential but not apparent from the outside.... or they might just be having a really long tea break.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 6.01pm
I don't know anything about the particular plans for this building, but when local enviromental pollution (i.e. dust and noise) is an issue (as in this case), dismantling the building from the "inside out" is often considered to be the preferred method and is sometimes prescribed in the planning permission or by the Environment Agency. It's also slower and a lot more expensive for the developer.

Often, you won't see much at all for ages, as they spend a lot of time propping up the walls then taking the floors out from the top down, before starting to take away the walls and then the foundations. Then suddenly a wall disappears overnight and you can see there's just a hollow shell of a building left.

*editing for spelling*
Friday 9 June 2006 8.09am
Siduhe wrote:
I don't know anything about the particular plans for this building, but when local enviromental pollution (i.e. dust and noise) is an issue...

woke me up this morning. they've got a small digger type thingy on the roof chopping bits out of it.

it's a horrible noise as it echos all over waterloo station and reaches me with my windows open on this hot day! they should do it in the rain when the windows are closed (normally) and so the dust is at its minimum!
Friday 9 June 2006 8.21am
Just for the record - I also think it is / was before they denuded it a fantastic building (although sometimes you have to accept you're in a minority).
Monday 7 August 2006 7.49am
For a grey Monday morning...

The BBC are piloting a new service to download clips - aimed at VJ (Video Jockeys).

One of the clips is a retrospective from Tomorrows World, which believe it of not includes our very own Island Block (aka One Westminster Bridge Road)

You have to login using your BBC sign on or register if you don't have one already.

The clip is big at 43mb - and the sound cuts occasionally due to copy right restrictions, which feels a bit like Big Brother.

But most importantly it features the original Tomorrows world report on open plan offices, and those trendy automatic orange blinds in action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/calc/radio1/aip.shtml?id=00000083

Hopefully the Civil servants bound for the new Palestra building won't have such problems. It seems to have been a theme running through the 60s and 70s that architects experimented with new designs that didn't quite come off, with our very own Alexander Fleming House (Metro Central) and it's cut price air de-conditioning. Hopefully the computer modelling of today makes this a thing of the past - I almost sound like Maggie Philbin myself.

...the island block is about half eaten.
Monday 7 August 2006 8.24am
What is our air deconditioning method thingy kitreno??? What am I missing?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network