Borough Road "improvement"?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 22 May 2006 2.59pm
Has anyone noticed the council redesign of the junction at the Borough High St end of Borough Road? It involves the loss of the raised flowerbed - a very attractive feature.
The re-design of the junction seems (at this stage of the work) to form a large paved area of no discernable use and further defines the environmental deterioration one experiences as one moves South towards the Elephant & Castle.
Is this an improvement, or a cost saving exercise by Southwark Council?
I think their money would have been better spent removing that horendous eye sore of a chminey stack opposite MORI on Borough Rd.
Monday 22 May 2006 5.48pm
The loss of the filter lane also creates a huge traffic jam every time the lights change. Result: emergency vehicles trapped in a line of vehicles going nowhere. I work in Borough Road and believe we were told a few years ago that Borough Road was a designated emergency vehicle route, hence the Council wouldn't install a pelican crossing or zebra crossing at the lights because of the impact this would have on flows of traffic. Hmmm.
Monday 22 May 2006 5.53pm
My understanding is (from leaning out of the window of my car a couple of weeks ago and asking the workmen) that you soon won't be able to turn left onto BHS from there.

It's to improve traffic flows by creating a kind of de facto one way system.
Monday 22 May 2006 6.42pm
If that's true, then everyone will just cut up behind The Ship on that tiny alleyway (Stones End St?) and onto Gt Suffolk St. It's also a bit daft, because unless you are trying hard to go some other way, you get sent down B Rd from St George's Circus.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 22 May 2006 7.03pm
The "no Turn Left" implementation, if true, will heavily impact Swan St and Trinity St. I wonder if anyone living there is aware of this....
not only traffic, but ambulances shuttling between St Thomas and Guys with their sirens screeming at all hours?
Also, can you really see the local police vehicles going all the way round the block to get to their station? They treat the yellow lines with impunity as it is....
Monday 22 May 2006 7.25pm
You can really see how the shutting off of Trinity Street some years ago has made a negative impact on the traffic in this area. Just look at the area on the Google Map site and you see the direct routes from Tower Bridge Road westwards are being closed off one by one. Just why Trinity Street, one of the wider streets in this area, was shut has never been adequately explained to me. It appears the planners wish to force all the traffic into the Old Kent Road.
Monday 22 May 2006 7.27pm
I agree, although I'm also waiting to see if it actually happens - two lanes have been painted into the new junction, which wouldn't make any sense if they were planning to make it no left turn.
Monday 22 May 2006 7.33pm
And does London Road and the Elephant and Castle roundabout really need more traffic. London Road is bad even when it's quiet.
Tuesday 23 May 2006 5.40pm
..unfortunately it's the usual story traffic wise....try to accomodate more traffic on less road with less parking....

Not being able to turn left will just create more traffic going 'round & 'round...creating more traffic clogging.

Trinity square...yest another disater. If I go to B&Q on anywhere on the old kent road. I have to drive all the way through borough station or the Elephant & castle. I drive past my destination (trinity Square) and then find that I have to choose where I will sit in traffic.

Tuesday 23 May 2006 11.35pm
I for one welcome all the closures , I cycle and drive but you just cannot have cars eating up all the space. As for Trinity St, you will soon be able to enter there from Grt Dover Street. They will be taking away the barriers outside the Roebuck Pub but there will be traffic cameras. When I cycle through Trinity Street it is heaven, being closed off you see kids playing on their bikes people roller blading and can hear the birds sing. why cant other streets experience this? They should be able to and sod the car :-)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: