Derelict Building on Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
J
Tuesday 23 May 2006 6.28pm
Anyone know anything about the derelict building on Long Lane by Elim Estate, beside the football/basketball court?

I assume it's only a matter of time before someone knocks it down and sticks a block of flats on it.

I see people ducking in and out of there sometimes and there's a (fairly nice) car parked inside the fence around the place lately.

And while I'm at it, what about Valentines? I see the estate agent's sign is still up so I guess there have been no takers so far.
Wednesday 24 May 2006 5.14am
I'd love to know what that building is too. There are CCTV cameras fixed on the front door, yet the windows on the 1st floor are all smashed. It does look pretty awful and does make the area feel shabby. Someone must own it...
Wednesday 24 May 2006 5.59am
There are a bunch of people living in it
Wednesday 24 May 2006 8.01am
there is a planning application in to build flats on the site-3 stories so not a huge development
Wednesday 24 May 2006 8.54am
"There are a bunch of people living in it"

Do you mean proper tenants or squatters?
JSG
Wednesday 24 May 2006 10.39am
The derelict building is referred to as 'the old laundry'. I think it is squatted by Polish looking builders - saving up all their pennies. Rather them than any of the drinkers/substance misuers.

There is a planning application - I thought it was for 14 flats over four stories - but since my lovely view of towerbridge/tower of london/city hall has been obliterated anyway I dont care and dont remember

I refer to the piles of earth/builders rubble as the nature garden - I dont know why they arrive.

the local kids had a brilliant time smashing all the windows and chucking stuff out from inside - for awhile there was grafitti on the sloping roof about it being their club house.
Wednesday 24 May 2006 11.16am
chrismingay wrote:
"There are a bunch of people living in it"
Do you mean proper tenants or squatters?

I am assuming they are squatters due to derelict condition of the building.
Wednesday 24 May 2006 11.44am
The plan is for 11 flats over 3 floors-they may have scaled it down-four 1 bed flats and seven 2 bed flats
Friday 26 May 2006 7.51am
for proper people only

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 7 June 2006 3.35pm
The Valentines is up for sale but the cost is prohibitive. Apparantly they are asking for 300k for the property with only a 40 year lease and it needs approx. 100k spent on it before it could ever trade as a pub - which would take time. With these sort of figures it could be difficult to get the investment required to turn it into a pub. Also I think the council own it and within the 40 year lease there is a stipulation that it has to be run as a pub so will not be knocked down for some time!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: