Berkeley Homes development roof gardens?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 25 May 2006 9.46pm
Given that the Berkeley Homes towers on the old coach park at Tower Bridge have got planning permission now, rather than trying to overturn that entirely why not try to modify the plans in favour of locals by arguing for the tops of the towers to be made into greenhouse roof gardens open to locals for free - and to tourists if they pay a bit. You could link the tops of the towers by suspension bridge walkways and create a garden in the sky. Hell of a tourist attraction (Southwark might even like it - they want an "attraction" on the site) and you could reserve it for local residents during evenings. It would actually extend the Potters Fields green space rather than contract it and it could give everyone in the area a great shared amenity which tourists could pay to maintain and Berkeley Homes to build. A bit nutty perhaps but any support for this out there ?
Thursday 25 May 2006 11.33pm
As I recall, when the GLA building was being planned, the space at the top of the building was punted as 'Londons Living Room' and was going to have a cafe, open to the public at all times ... now it's a venue for Ken's glad-handing of various bigots and hug-ins ... the public have access for extremely limited periods which aren't excatly well-publicised.
Friday 26 May 2006 12.42am
No because Southwark council have a good plan for the site based in its importance in relation to the south bank and Tower Bridge ,and they should be allowed to do it with out interference from central government.
The Berkeley development would consign the park to no more than a grass verge around a housing development. that's not good enough with or without token gestures.

Lest we forget.
http://cartoon.members.beeb.net/
Friday 26 May 2006 8.50am
With regards to Paul's comments about the GLA building what do people here think about restrictions now put in place to many public building due to 'security reasons'?

To me it seems ridiculous that we cannot get access to many places now due to terrorist threat. I think the post office tower, Canary Wharf, the GLA building and quite a few more all had public viewing areas that are now unavailable due to the perceived danger.

Do we all not think that if a terrorist decided they wanted to blow a building up they would do it anyway? And by closing down these areas is in a way giving in?

Also what about using the same reason to take bins away from stations.

I remember about 10 years ago the Standard did a small piece on By-Laws, which mentioned that pubs by right had to allow non-customers to use the toilets, and I saw people whipping a cut out copy of the article when confronted by landlords. I think the By-Law got changed due to the increased IRA activity at the time but I could be mistaken. I know it's going off the original topic but again with elderly relatives who come to visit regularly it's a nightmare finding a public loo when you are out and about.
ADT
Friday 26 May 2006 9.11am
The security at City Hall is a bit of a joke anyway - I took the olds up to the top when they were last down, and carried a largish box in.

"What's in the box?"

"A cake."

"OK, we don't need to scan that."

wtf? I mean it's true, it was a cake, and I probably don't look too suspicious, but what is the point of making me put my wallet and phone through the machine, and not checking out the large box?
Friday 26 May 2006 11.09am
Oh I love it, ADT...Yes I agree the "green roof" policy should be adopted everywhere. It is good for the environment and looks lovely from above, whether there is public access or not.
Friday 26 May 2006 3.17pm
On the subject off roof gardens ,
nothig can top this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A11357525
Friday 26 May 2006 3.36pm
Gosh Micky...what's the prospect for this happening?
Friday 26 May 2006 3.52pm
The small amount of info I have it that meetings have taken
place between invasion media and southwark council.and the
Olympic cultural leader will or has met southwark council.

I think it fits Southwark councils cultural idea and provides
the park
that the local people wanted.

I think its breathtaking and the stuff of dreams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A11357525
Friday 26 May 2006 4.13pm
Jude Kelly's a rather dynamic woman and has Tony Blair's ear.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: