Chair/Stair lifts. Legal advice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 30 May 2006 8.39am
Dearest SE1ers. This is an URGENT matter. You are always full of helpful advice and tips. And I need some Legal/social/human rights views.
So...more about my Mum (and me actually). Most of you have been to my place on the top of Metro Central Heights. As you know, you get the lift to the TENTH floor, and then you have to climb two very steep flights of stairs to the ELEVENTH floor to me. These stairs are pretty hard for ME when dragging heavy shopping or suitcases. For my parents knocking ninety they are a real mission. I asked the management of our building (horrible Peverel) for permission to put in a stair/chair lift (at my expense of course). So the new manager said NO, because it was in a public area and subject to abuse and vandalism. Since my flat is "the end of the line" as it were (i.e. no one except the lift engineers go beyond me to service the lift which does NOT come to my floor) and the chair lift will have a lock on it so only me or my guests can get access to it, I cant imagine why I would get a refusal.
QUESTION. Are my human rights to be able to get to my own home, and to have my elderly parents have access to my home, being infringed? Is the management obliged not to make me have to move house because the access to my home is so difficult as to make anyone with the slightest disability unable to reach it? If I am paying for the installation and maintainance of the said chair/stair lift, do they have any grounds to refuse me? Would the Council, or any of the disability organisations support me on this? My only other pointis that there IS a stair lift in one of the other blocks, so if there's a precedent, what possible justification can there be to refuse me? Your views much appreciated.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 10.36am
Under the Disability Discrimination Act public bodies have a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' to their property to improve accessibility.

I dont know if this applies to a freeholder, management company situation.

The alternative might be to use SE1/local press to try and villify them (do they respond to shame? - I doubt it...)
Wednesday 31 May 2006 11.43pm
JSG is right - it's the DDA that will get you your stairlift. Since 1995 it applies to homes including I am sure leasehold properties. You have a right to a stairlift as not to have one is discrimination against you. The building manager will of course know this, amoungst other things he will have carried out an access audit on the whole building. The council will have an accessibility officer clued up on DDA, use them to start with.
Saturday 1 July 2006 8.53am
As I said to Jac and Mr.Jac the other evening, one of the (four) residents on our floor has also voiced objection to my putting in this very discreet stair lift. Jac and Mr. Jac said "unreasonable" refusal is unacceptable. Has anyone else got a view on this? I am rather desperate as my Mum's birthday is arriving and the Oldies wont come if I cant get them up the stairs ( I can also hire some nightclub bouncers I suppose, to carry them up).
Saturday 1 July 2006 11.21am
quote "Most of you have been to my place..."

gosh i thought this was a public forum, it's no wonder 'outsiders' accuse you of being a cliquey forum
Saturday 1 July 2006 11.47am
A bit unfair. Our Jackie has a tendency to exagerate, but that is one of the reasons we love her.

Seriously though, when she invites Forum members to her roof terrace, she does mean anyone. You, me or whoever. Like Hatts Jr and Snr, Jackie is dong her bit to make SE1 a real community.

Come along.
Saturday 1 July 2006 12.20pm
Sorry lagse1, we dont seem to have met. Do you have anything helpful to say regarding my stair lift?
Saturday 1 July 2006 1.13pm
lagse1 does have a point. Some of the long-standing members who have been to many of the social events do have an (understandable) tendency to make references to things that have happened at these events (or assume that everyone understands the references or in-jokes) in the course of more general discussion about other matters.

I have noticed this and can see how it can put off others from getting involved.

Some of the 'usual suspects' might do well just to bear that in mind from time to time.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Anonymous User
Sunday 2 July 2006 12.27am
Being a community website it seems to me ( and this is just my opinion) that it is proper proof of success that so many of us from within that community who would, in all probabilty, never have met otherwise, have met and become firm friends.

Continuing use of the site as a part of this friendship is inevitable.

Everyone, and Jackie more than most, is very friendly and open.

I don't think we should be admomished for this.

I have had a wee drinkie & hope I am not offending anyone with what I just said.

Goodnight & sweet dreams to you all... West Ham, united AND Milwall ;-)
Sunday 2 July 2006 1.09am
On topic: Jackie, please check your private messages.

Off topic: I agree with Birdie. I love this forum for the way it helps to build a sense of community, and also for the fact it has enabled me to meet so many people I'd never have met otherwise. It makes me sad that some people feel excluded because of frequent posters like me.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: