SE1 Postboxes - New, Earlier 'Last Collection'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 11.21am
I'm interested to know if people are as annoyed by this as I am.

A trip to my local post box revealed a notice telling me that the last collection would now be at 6.30pm (not 7pm) and that a later collection would be made at [list of 4 or 5 SE1 post boxes] at 6.45pm. (The change took effect yesterday 29th May) The only reference was a phone number - 08457 740 740

I think this change is very inconvenient. I'm lucky if my mail arrives before midday. The 7pm collection was perfect for getting home from work (approx 6.30pm) and responding to anything in time for the 7pm collection.

Does anyone know why the change has been made, whether there was any obligation to consult on the change and who I should contact to complain?
Tuesday 30 May 2006 12.35pm
ring the phone number given to complain, although it probably won't get you anywhere, or just accept that any post arriving today while you are at work that you reply to today, will not get picked up until tomorrow.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 12.35pm
alternatively, send everything via email.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 8.37pm
Emmesse, you do make me smile. You don't seriously believe that these large organisations are there to provide a service?

Take this afternoon for example, At 15:15 I went into the HSBC in Stamford Street, all the Tellers positions were closed - why should the staff have to deal with silly old customers after all! Silly me, I forgot that it was a bank and that banks used to provide services - not these days though. I told the non-existent staff that I would take my large sum of money elsewhere and give it to an organisation who might like to have some cash to pay their staff.

This evening I went into Tesco in Poultry, did a mini-shop and as none of the checkouts were open, I only had crumpled notes which the automatic checkouts wouldn't take - I joined the 5 Items or Less queue. The staff immediately had a fit and began shouting that they weren't going to serve me, at that point I was five back in the queue. I aksed to see the manager and explained to him one of the finer points of the Law of Contract ... he opened a checkout.

Emmesse, JonR has a point with Email use. The Royal Mail is so useless and a number of staff untrustworthy (this is well documented) that you're brave to use their so-called Service.
Wednesday 31 May 2006 2.22pm
Make no mistake - I was under no delusions about the pathetic service offered by the Royal Mail - However, I was under the impression that there might be a need to consult on changes or give longer than 1 week's notice.

As for e-mail - If only my Gran had e-mail for her birthday card or the online credit card application actually was online and didn't result in a pre-filled form for me to print out and post back....
Tuesday 6 June 2006 3.44pm
I work for Royal Mail and am both amazed at the feat that they pull off every single day, and alternatively as flabbergasted as everyone else at the abject incompetence in dealing with queries / complaints. I have made a few myself and have never been anything other than unsurprisignyl astonished at the inabilty of Royal Mail to deal with my complaint with any efficacy or, even, logic. Their usual answer is 'we can't do that because it's not our job to do it' - like delivering a package from a sorting office to a post office outside of that postcode zone.

The number you have been given is the 'Customer Service' number (I'm not sure how the second part of that nomenclature is interpreted by Royal Mail staff) - and you've got two hopes from themn answering it - and I think you might know what they are. I tried 74 times recently and didn't get a single answer.
Wednesday 7 June 2006 12.51pm
alternatively if you really do have to call them you can save money by not using the premium rate 08457 number by checking

which is brilliant and gives you lower cost alternative numbers for most big corporations such as banks as sadly they all make money from keeping you on hold.

i use this site almost daily as i work from home and seeing the cost of 08xxx numbers appalls me
Thursday 15 June 2006 1.27pm
I'm actually more flabbergasted by the pedantry of the post. It was only 30mins earlier, and it's gone back to 7pm round Tower Bridge anyway. How often does anyone receive post that requires a one day turnaround?!

My last post office and postbox was 2 hours drive away in a 14 seater minivan which was always full with 26 people and livestock, so Royal Mail will do just fine. I can only suggest that you find more pressing matters to worry about and then postal collections will not annoy quite so much.
Thursday 15 June 2006 8.01pm
2 hours drive away?
In a 14 seater minivan?
Riveting stuff.

Please do private message me when you've got more wonderful anecdotes to share.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: