Greener City

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 31 May 2006 3.23pm
Do we feel that the Mayor's sudden embracing of "greener cities" will mean that he may re-think some of the planning decisions he's made?
Wednesday 31 May 2006 10.56pm
Jackie - do I sense that you have your tongue pressed very firmly into your cheek?

My impression, after much consideration, is that Mr Livingstone hitches his bandwagon to whatever cause/topical issue he feels will give him maximum publicity. Refer to the Thread I started on Tooley Street Red Route - Mr Livingstone attaches his title 'Mayor of London' to many advertising/information issues. The Mayor of London (on billboards)tells us that 3 out of 4 London buses have cameras which record the movements of traffic - how many illegally parked Tour Coaches in Tooley Street have been fined? I have yet to receive a response from Transport for London (another organisation Mr Livingstone closely affiliates his Office with)despite numerous requests over several years. The Mayor of London tells us that illegally parked vehicles cause 'Needless Jams' - so how many of the above mentioned Tour Coaches have been fined?

This morning at 7H, Mrs Paul and I were woken by a transporter vehicle delivering Black Cabs - parked on the Tooley Street Red Route, the lorry was blocking the Bus Stop and Cycle Lane - residents have repeatedly complained about this - Mr Livingstone turns a blind eye.
If Mr Livingstone was to begin with issues on his own doorstep instead of hitching onto the Lap Dancing (oh, do I see an easy 'cause' with maximum publicity?) issue, then I might pay more attention to him.

Incidentally Mr Livingstone, Mrs Paul (who hails from Beijing) won't be giving you a vote since your overtly crass comment that the outlawing of foot-binding in China justified the Mao Tse Tung era.
Friday 2 June 2006 6.13am
Paul, in our narrow residential street yesterday about three o'clock seven coaches were illegally parked, at least they never had their engines running, when they pull up they do turn the engines off fairly quickly now as the old biddy either phones the coach company up because most have the details on the side and complains or goes out and tells them.

Traffic wardens turn a blind eye because there used to be a bus stand for two buses that are no longer used! But Paul heaven help the driver who leaves his car outside to run in the shop and buy a paper or the visitor who parks outside before 6.30pm they get a ticket pretty sharpish.
p.s. i'm the 'old biddy' described thus by one of the coach drivers in the shop when i was standing behind him!
Friday 2 June 2006 7.47am
'Old Biddy' - ?? How old were they if they thought a stripling like yourself was old.
Friday 2 June 2006 11.07am
Paul - they were just babes - only 40ish....
Saturday 3 June 2006 7.56am
Walked across to sainsburys just now and saw 100+ pigeons, a squirrel,
a mangy fox and heard a magpie - it's a beautiful morning in this green
and pleasant city.
http://xs201.xs.to/xs201/06226/Fox.jpg

[edited by JH - please don't post images wider than 400px otherwise everything goes haywire]
Monday 5 June 2006 6.23am
Has anyone tried putting sempervivens (those sort of spiky green plants) on their roofs or tops of their garages? I'm dying to try and persuade our blocks to try it out. With all the talk about global warming (anyone see Panorama last night about Mr. Bush hiding the real facts about climate change from the US public?) this would be a huge benefit to the city.
Monday 5 June 2006 7.44am
Jackie, do you mean houseleeks or hens or chickens ?
Monday 5 June 2006 8.28am
No I mean sempervivens, it's a plant which (as the latin implies) lives forever and needs very little attention, sort of ground cover, rosette type succulent plant, quite pretty actually.
Monday 5 June 2006 8.31am
we had loads in our garden, its the same thing,legend has it if you put it on your roof you would not get struck by lightning! who needs lighning conductors! very good for burns as well ( if you got struck by lightning!)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: