Where's this?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 31 May 2006 11.58pm
The following are descriptions of places in SE1 from a book published in 2004!

1a) ... never a wealthy or confident locality, has a riverfront of considerably less interest than its northern counterpart
1b) ...is also one of the most run-down and blight-ridden [districts], dominated by the kind of crumbling housing estates and intimidating streets... that would not be tolerated north of the river.
1c) ...a blighted, desolated land on the wrong side of the river with little prospect of imminent improvement.

(All the above are descriptions of the same place.)

2a) A run-down area built on marshy land...
2b) A depressed area...

3) Second World War bombing destroyed much of the area but modern-day [X] is still heavily industrialised (for London), its gloomy black-brick streets dominatd by depots, yards and workshops.

4) A narrow gloomy street of canyon-like nineteenth century warhouses near the river, which fits the popular view of how Dickensian London looked.

5) A road synonymous with many of the least attractive aspects of South London life - poverty, blight, decrepit housing and casual violence...

6) A deeply unpleasant part of south - east London...

7) A dishevelled area of grimy streets, unappealing shops and windblown council estates...
Thursday 1 June 2006 1.24am
PS please excuse the typos - stayed up far too late watching BB.
Thursday 1 June 2006 2.34am
A few more gems:

2c) Second World War bombing hit [place], with its strong industrial base, hard, and much of the land was cleared of all pre-war buidings in the 1950s and rebuilt with crude tower bocks and barely habitable deck-access estates. Changes in economic patterns in the 1970s... devastated the already depressed local economy and created a ghost town that has barely recovered despite recent attempts at gentrification...

5b) Second World War bombing devastated the surrounding land, which was redeveloped with shoddy council estates, and with no tube or rail links, a poor bus service, an ever-congested roadway, and only the most basic shops {place] refuses all attempts at improvement.

8) Changing economic patterns at the end of the twentieth century brought about considerable commercial decline and much dereliction.

An easy one:

9) [place] has become one of the least loved and least attractive railway termini in the capital, with narrow and draughty platforms and poor signposting, outside which a world of dark alleyways, hidden corners and arches has become home to hundreds of garages, timber yards and workshops.

(I'm actually up because I don't feel well, by the way... not because of Big Brother. Although, it has to be said, I'd be feeling a lot more sorry for myself if BB wasn't on!)
Thursday 1 June 2006 6.45am
Blimey - I would never have recognised the old joint! nice to think that some people may read that and think it's true.

TLMJJ - how do you feel now gel?
:-)
Thursday 1 June 2006 6.53am
It would have been a perfectly acceptable description of the 'hood (the north of today's Southwark borough) had it been written in 1970.

What is the publication?

Niall
Thursday 1 June 2006 7.45am
Surely a reprint of an older book?!

Or a very poorly researched new one...

Regards,

Loafer
Thursday 1 June 2006 8.22am
Gosh, how come I live here and never noticed? A ghost town with all those dark alleyways. And those awful warehouses - I mean those shabby flats in Shad Thames only cost about 1,000,000 just think, if they were only done up they would go for 10,000,000....And that scruffy river front - I mean REALLY.

Where DID you get this publication TLMJJ? Is it a JOKE?
Thursday 1 June 2006 8.54am
The descriptions are from "The London Compendium: A Street-by-Street Exploration of the Hidden Metropolis" by Ed Glinert. I got the publication date wrong, though: it was first published in 2003.
Thursday 1 June 2006 9.30am
Even for 2003 that's hideously out of date! I wonder if the author has plagiarised an older book, or even self-plagiarised one of his earlier works?

Shall seek this out in my lunch break and have a chuckle.
Thursday 1 June 2006 9.57am
I think Ed Glinert should be publicly linched myself... or put in the Clink to be goggled at by the tourists coming to view our miserable seedy surroundings.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: