Bermondsey Square & New Caledonian Market Developments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 19 November 2001 10.43am
I recently received a letter saying that the Market developments were being planned.
Has anyone gone to view the design? What's the feeling?
I am a bit sceptical and concerned that it might destroy the outdoor "flee market" feel. Any views?
Wednesday 21 November 2001 12.26pm
Today I saw a notice from Southwark Council on Bermondsey Street ... so it seems to be gathering apace.

Does anyone know if I can view the plans anywhere on the net?
Wednesday 21 November 2001 1.17pm
I just found this from I didn't know about it:

"The development of the market square has been delayed by the findings two years ago of an archaeological dig by English Heritage. The remains of an Abbey of the Cluniac Priory of 1086, a Benedictine House of 1399 and a 17th century mansion were unearthed. Early in 2001 English Heritage, together with developers Urban Catalyst Limited, was due to start digging again to complete its findings and decide just where the foundations for the proposed development can be laid.

A Royal Charter protects the market so the proposed development must include it. At the moment, the outdoor market site is a barren parking lot from Saturday to Thursday, but the plans include an exciting multi-functional working, living, shopping, cinema complex - with parking - and market stalls."

Perhaps the findings account for the delay (and lack of information).

The plans for the development can apparently be seen at Portland Street SE17 (Southwark Council) but I'd still like to know if anyone finds more info. on the web.

Perhaps it's time for inSE1/this website to do a new article on this development?!
James Hatts
Wednesday 21 November 2001 1.17pm
You can see very basic details in the planning section of the Southwark Council website?. Do a search for applications in Abbey ward.

Wednesday 21 November 2001 1.33pm
Cheers, James.

Looks like I'll have to go to Portland Street for more details.
Monday 26 November 2001 1.47pm
I obtained a response to my email from Southwark Council. For those who cannot view the planning documents during normal working hours here is a solution: (reply from Council)

You may be able to view the plans at the John Havard
Library (211 Borough High Street) as Matthew has requested that the agent send a copy there. Try calling 020 7407 0807 after Wednesday 28th. The library opens on Saturdays between 10:00 and 14:00.

Or, alternatively you could try contacting the agent directly at:

Robson Planning Consultancy
41 Fitzjohn Avenue

Tel: 020 8449 3113

I hope this information is of some use to you.

Yours sincerely,

Toby Hamilton (020 7525 5551)
Wednesday 5 December 2001 10.29pm
The plans are on dispaly at the Methodist hall on Bermondsey St from 12-2pm Mon-Thurs, Sat and from 930am-2pm on Fridays.

Roger Shoesmith
Tuesday 11 December 2001 2.46pm
According to a notice posted to residents of the square, there is an "open public meeting to be chaired by Simon Hughes MP at the Methodist Central Hall, 256 Bermondsey Street, on Tuesday 11th December at 7:00pm. The developers, Councillors and Council Officers will be present to hear your views and answer questions."

That is tonight!
Saturday 12 January 2002 11.17pm
I am trying to sell some fossils at the Caledonian Market last Friday but failed to find buyers there. Any suggestions?

Paul Y

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: