Arancia- best value restaurant in se1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 28 March 2003 5.22pm
With all the (deserved) fuss over the Bermondsey Kitchen in our post honest cabbage times, people seemed to have forgotten/dont know about Arancia's which is on Southwark Park Road (at the eastern end of Grange Road, which I think squeezes into SE1)

I have been many a time and they offer consistantly good modern Italian (if that phrase exists) and are reasonable in the wallet dept. The restaurant is a little discreet (a small orange spash of colour in an otherwise nondescript road) but worth searching out for.

Has anyone else been, except for the bloke who cuts my hair who says he tried but "couldn't eat anywhere which has paper table cloths" (!)
Friday 28 March 2003 5.27pm
Sadly Arancia is just 'across the border' in SE16...
Friday 28 March 2003 6.27pm
How about flexing your rules just to include restaurants/cafes just over the border within walking distance for SE1 residents.

I suspect that your nearest and dearest would not appeciate it if we suggested that you spent your time surveying every pub in adjacent postal districts for inclusion in the SE1 guide.

To get around this, the restaurant/pub database could have an extra field for "mostly eating/mostly drinking/anything goes" status of the establishment, and you could adopt a different radius for each. (Do I now have to go to the separate feedback forum to post this suggestion as a PS -or will our very very tidy forum editor cut and paste it there for me!)
Monday 31 March 2003 12.16pm
Okay so it's not in SE1 - but Arancia is a gem and still remains my favourite restauarnt within walking distance of my home. However Do not feel compelled to venture outside of SE1 its popular enough and I would hate to find myself having to book my table weeks in advance.
Monday 31 March 2003 4.16pm
Extending just over the border would start getting messy. I live in SE1 near Waterloo. It is a ten minute walk to Covent Garden where there are a lot of restaurants but they aren't in SE1 but if you are going to sully our lovely SE1 site with alien restaurants from SE16 then I'll be pushing for some WC1 establishments.

Is it the restaurant that looks kind of like someones house near Southwark Park? Think I've been there it is fab BTW.
Monday 31 March 2003 5.50pm
it is- blink and you will miss it...

i think wc1 establishments are possibly a little more likely to get more airtime than those in deepest se16, so i think the occasional stray thread is justified, especially as its about a place that shares that quirky urban feel that is our manor...

i'll stop right there, i'm beginning to sound like an estate agent...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: