Tabard Gardens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 29 March 2003 6.37pm
Conscious of the fact that I am always moaning on this website, I thought I would break with that unhealthy trend, and say how nice it is to see what a good job Southwark Council Parks Department seem to be making of the Tabard Gardens redevelopment. Least I think that's what the open space is called, anyway. Its really nice to see this sort of investment in improving our existing green spaces, with new flower beds, etc. Good on you. Its really appreciated.
Sunday 30 March 2003 11.00pm
It is nice to see money well spent to brighten up the areas in which we live. I just hope we don't find the same situation I witnessed last week in Southwark park. I know it isn't in SE1 but it is in southwark. The council has pent huge amounts of money clean up and improving the park, but last week large numbers of flowers had been pulled from their beds and just scattered everywhere. Why do people do it?!!!
Monday 31 March 2003 9.21am
It seems like quite a few of our parks are getting some overdue attention. Does anyone know what is being currently being done at the park on Bermondsey Street, or at Spa Park off Grange Rd (or is that in SE16 and can't be mentioned! ?) ? I can never get any information out of the Council when I try to find out what the plans are for the parks, specifically when the play area at Spa Park might re-open. I agree we have some really nice open spaces here - Leathermarket Gardens was lovely yesterday... we just need more of them.
Monday 31 March 2003 9.40am
i have seen an ambitious set of plans in the library on borough high street, which incorporates spa park, as well as the route from bermondsey tube down spa road and into grange road, which is crying out for improvement (those arches are still a bit spooky at night). i remember reading that there is plans to incorporate a shiny new health centre on the southern tip of spa park, incorporating a children area, but don't know what stage it's at.

there is some info on the area within the following link (under planning applications/projects)

Post edited (31 Mar 03 09:47)
Monday 31 March 2003 10.51am
I agree that the Tabard Gdns changes are much welcomed. However, there seem to be some skewed priorities. Much of the area near to Tabard Gdns is filthy, and the roads don't appear to have been swept for months.

It's all vey well have a small oasis of green (hopefully clean) nearby but some additional focus should be given to more regular cleaning of the streets.

There also appears to be a difference between the attention that Trinity Sq gets, compared to areas between Harper Road and New Kent Road. I'm not sure if this is funded by Southwark or the residents, but there appears to be a disproportionate sense of "care" for the picturesque Trinity Sq, compared to other roads just a few mins walk away. Why is this?
Monday 31 March 2003 12.12pm
It's great to see our parks at last being improved but when will southwark realise that you can not just plug a new plant in and expect it to survive, young plants need watering during dry spells(s we are having now. Time and again I have seen newly planted areas dye due to lack of care, as is happening now at Guy Street Park which isn't even finished. What a waste!
Monday 31 March 2003 1.10pm
Nick, it's the same sort of clout that manages to exclude Trinity street from the nasty old traffic I expect....
Tuesday 8 April 2003 12.55pm
I live overlooking tabard gardens and am totally in favour of the improvements.My only grievance is the destruction of some fantastic trees,decades old,that has occured.As I write I have just watched another one destroyed by the contractors laying electricity cables.What a waste!!

Are the details of the overall plan for tabard gardens published anywhere online?
Thursday 10 April 2003 9.28pm
Once again I find myself having to correct you on the perceived nature of The Trinity church square area - and it's inhabitants.
You make a comparison with the old kent rd and trinity st, however I note that Street furniture and lamp-posts are all being repainted AGAIN along the old kent rd. Great, nice to see southwark doing some routine maintenance for once.
However, The victorian lampposts on trinity street have not been painted for 10 years. They are all peeling and look disgraceful.
The council actually has a statutory duty to up-keep a conservation area.
Our residents association has been asking the council if they could paint the lamp-posts - only to be told that there is no money for this, and that the estate should have them painted at our own expense.... Do you pay extra to have YOUR local lamp-posts painted??
What do we pay council tax for I wonder???
This directly contradicts your perception of council investment being skewed.
I too am happy to see Tabard Gardens being invested in, and the Old Kent Rd, but why do you still perceive that the many low income residents of The Trinity st area are "favoured" - just because we live in a conservation area.??

Post edited (10 Apr 03 21:30)
Saturday 12 April 2003 10.11am

Dear hey jc jc

I think I agree with you - nice streets should be kept nice as it has a knock on effect to the next street - the same with filthy streets!

I want to know why the developer of the Falmouth Road/Great Dover Street estate didn't replace the the beautiful flower bed right in front of the Roebuck! I don't know if it was their responsibility or the Councils but whoever it should be PUT BACK! We need things like that to break up all the brickwork around that area. No shops just flats!

Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: