Tabard Gardens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
hey jc jc Sunday 13 April 2003 8.51pm
The flower bed was removed when The Trinity st / gt dover st junction was remodelled by TFL as part of the red route works.

Hopefully there will be some scope for landscaping and tree planting when this junction is finally closed to traffic in the near future.....

On this note quite a few new rd-side trees have been planted in this area - especially along Harper rd - I hope local residents will water them in this dry weather. It hasn't rained properly in weeks and weeks, and they will die if they haven't established their new roots.
greenangel Thursday 24 April 2003 10.53pm
There's hopefully going to be a festival in Tabard Gardens this summer! More of that I say! The West Bermondsey Community Forum is getting this together - let me know if anyone local is interested in getting the meeting dates.
David White Saturday 26 April 2003 6.21pm

As a Trinity Church Square resident I've noticed that one of the lamp posts has a different coloured light bulb to the others...

I don't suppose it's worth complaining to the council though.
mapmaker Monday 28 April 2003 10.46am
The rest of us complain about dumped cars sitting around for weeks, big holes in pavements and building works that go on for years.

But the residents of Trinity Square (two at least on this thread) complain that some of their street lights are not quite the right colour. What a different world it is!
David White Monday 28 April 2003 5.25pm

But I think colour is important!

I suppose I shouldn't be jealous if some other streets have new lighting, seeing as they probably have our traffic too nowadays.
Andrew Richardson Thursday 1 May 2003 10.08pm
Local politicians of both parties and the officers responsible have done nothing in Tabard Gardens for the past twelve years to my knowledge. (if anyone in LBS can say I am wrong please let me know I could do with a laugh). so too could the 2,000 children who have suffered inadequate play facilities, and a poorer quality of life than they deserved. Any investment now is far to late, it didn't take them that long to grant planning permissions on Great Dover Street. (See comments on Bermondsey Parks and Playgrounds for more).

I must emphasize as someone who has been one of the strongest of critics of LBS, they will never ever get it right until there is a radical management and maintenance programme for all open spaces and playgrounds (perhaps someone in LBS can show me a three or five year programme and schedule of management and maintenance for park and playgrounds, I am pretty certain there isn't one they are not competent enough to produce one).

You must understand that they just don't care, once the initial investment or improvements are made or the natives have been quelled they walk away from their responsibilities. In 1989 they bought a 30,000 vacuum cleaner for the Tabard astroturf but once it brokedown ( or I think got lost or stolen if my memory serves me right) they didn't do anything about it. Leathermarket Playground is a great example of this over 126,000 in 1993 down the pan simply because no one in Southwark's leisure service cares about Bermondsey's children and young people.

Andrew Richardson
david fitzpatrick Thursday 8 May 2003 10.40pm
Good to see (not) that a freshly planted tree on the Pilgrimage Street end of Tabard Gardens has been kindly snapped in half by some d***head.And the gardens haven't been officially re-opened yet.They have planted some 20 or so new trees on there.......here's hoping all those don't go the same way when the gardens are back open.

This sort of mindless vandalism makes my blood boil (as I'm sure a lot of you will agree.
Ants Tuesday 13 May 2003 10.23am
Saw the wrecked tree and felt both angry and sad. It's precisely pathetic acts of vandalism such as this that directly contradict all the campaigning for improvements. Authorities will be less inclined to 'waste' money on improving open sapces in areas where it appears (due to a tiny minority) that the local public couldn't give a toss. And who can blame them?

I wonder if the decapitation of the tree is linked to the fact that it generally forms one half of the goal posts for those having a kick about?

Also the park has and always will be used for ball games particularly football as there's precious little open space around. Is it sensible to try and develop borders with bushy shrubs that are just going to get trashed. Obviously I wouldn't want to see advertising hoarding akin to a football pitch around the edge of the park but landscaping and design has to be compatible with use, surely?
Alec Bentley Friday 23 May 2003 8.20pm
To all of you who are concerned about the damage that is being done to the new plantings in Tabard Gardens and the excessive amount of litter and dog mess than will most likely spoil the Gardens when it opens again sign up as a Street Leader. This is a new programme sponsored by Southwark Council to seek residents that are willing to help make Southwark Cleaner, Greener, Safer.

Southwark Council contact is dave.taylor@southwark.gov.uk

Raj Joshi (Josh) Friday 23 May 2003 10.56pm
My blood is indeed boiling. Walking past there today and yesterday, I saw people already using the grounds, even though they would have had to get past the temporary fencing erected and hence are blatently flouting the law. Or at least doing something wrong.

I suggest we let the Scorched Earth party deal with them.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions