Finding good tradesmen

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 6 June 2006 2.17pm
Noticed a couple of postings for good tradesmen and reminded me of an article I saw in the Streatham Guardian recently about a new site that lets you find tradesmen rated by their customers.

www.ratedtradesmen.com

It also lets you rate your tradesmen after the jobs done. Sounds like a good idea to me!
Tuesday 6 June 2006 2.36pm
Actually this is really useful for me right now - and will check it out.

I need a tradesperson to come to my house and affix a large and heavy bracket to my living room wall on which to hang one of these flat screen LCD display widescreen TV jobs.

Does anyone know of a person who can help me to do this (ie. do it for me ?)
Tuesday 6 June 2006 3.17pm
what type of wall is it?
Are there any pipes, wires inside the wall, where you want the bracket?
have you already got the bracket?
have you got fixings?

How much do you want to spend?
Tuesday 6 June 2006 3.28pm
Well, I have the answer to some - and need a tradesman to tell me the answers to others !

here goes:

1. It's the outside wall to my house - the outside of it is made from bricks, the inside has a smooth surface (plaster ?)
2. I have no idea if there are any pipes etc behind it - I was not there when it was built. There are no light fittings or sockets etc etc below or around the area I need the bracket however, and no external wires. There ARE two large immersion heaters c. 6 ft. away
3. I am looking into buying the bracket - just need the mortgage company to confirm they'll approve the remortgage in order to free the funds to get it. I'll have it in a week or so
4. The fixings etc etc will all be bought with the bracket.

Hope that helps.

Are you a tradesman ?
Tuesday 6 June 2006 3.33pm
Of a sort

You should see his kitchen
Tuesday 6 June 2006 3.36pm
Hmmmmm..

Oh, sorry - forgot to ask the last question - not sure how to answer that - kind of obvious really - as little as possible.

However I WOULD like the wires to be hidden if possible.

I guess that would be a major job - whereas the fixing of a bracket is a relatively straightforward job for cash ?
Tuesday 6 June 2006 3.37pm
I can recommend http://www.handysquad.com/

No connection, and not that cheap if all you want doing is a single job, but good quality. I find they are most economical if you save up a few little jobs and get them to do them all together.

They are also good at working around inquisitive felines in my experience.
Tuesday 6 June 2006 3.41pm
Thanks.

What's that list of music you always have on your postings ?
Tuesday 6 June 2006 4.35pm
Hi Tom,
I'm not a tradesman but I am the daughter of an electrician and the niece of a carpenter who - between the two of them - know a bit about plumbing ... there is a gadget you can get from Homebase/B&Q/anywhere similar which you can use to see whether there are pipes or wires under the surface of a wall - I reckon EVERY home should have one of these, even just for the purposes of hanging pictures: you would be amazed where workmen will run pipes and cables (especially in flats and conversions) and such a device will save you lots of time and money in the long run. Possibly your life, too.

Your smooth surface may be "dry lining", in which case you will need a particular, special type of fixing because walls constructed in this way aren't solid and so don't have anything to grip the fixing - your mortgage survey should tell you what kind of internal walls you've got and whether this is an issue. If they are dry lined, let me know and I will tell you the fixing you need (can't recall the name at the moment but can check my toolbox and come back to you).

Good luck!!
Wednesday 7 June 2006 7.15am
I find this site useful:

http://www.familiesonline.co.uk/article/static/397/

All personal recommendations, some by me!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: