Scam in SE1/SE17

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 12 June 2006 11.53am
Just a heads up, it would appear that there's been a resurgence of scam artistry in the Walworth/E&C area. At 5.45am saturday morning, I was woken by a woman (mid 30's, black, fairly smartly dressed) at the door, who claimed to be one of my neighbours; she said she'd just moved to the street, and hadn't realised that her electricity meter had run out. Could I lend her some money for the meter so she could heat her baby's food? I only gave her 1.50, and felt a bit bad that I had no more change I could give her.

I later mentioned this to one of my other neighbours, who said that the same thing had happened to him a few days ago, at around 1am, only this time it was a late 40's white woman, who told him almost the exactly same story, with the added detail of her dialysis machine would go off. It appears to me that there might be a group of people who are trying these emotive tactics to scam people, which makes me very sad and frustrated. I don't mind being asked for money by beggars, but I resent these tactics; it breeds distrust among neighbours and means you're less likely to help someone genuinely in need. This was on Larcom St, SE17. I'm sure to some people my action would appear naieve, but I do believe in helping people rather than just being cynical and selfish; which is why I feel these tactics are completely unacceptable.
Monday 12 June 2006 12.11pm
I would not open my door at 1am unless i could hear screaming....
Babybat - it's better to be trusting and conned than to be cold and uncharitable..:-)
Monday 12 June 2006 12.11pm
This happened alot about a year ago in Kennington, including to me (although I worked out the scam in time).

The police were going to bring a prosecution against the woman in question who fits your description of the first scam artist.

I suggest you contact the police at Kennnington Police Station - ask for PC Jane Brown - she will remember and may be able to nip this in the bud.

Regards,

Loafer
Monday 12 June 2006 2.41pm
Crumbs, are you all MAD opening your doors at such hours...you are lucky not to be knifed by some druggie desperate for a hit...do not, DO NOT, do that again. And I thought the "shilling in the meter" was a bit of the past.
Monday 12 June 2006 3.03pm
I spoke to PC Jane Brown last month shortly after this scam resurfaced here in Kennington(dialysis features prominently) and she asked that people phone Lambeth Police on 020 7326 1212 or dial 999 if she is at your door.
Monday 12 June 2006 3.31pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Crumbs, are you all MAD opening your doors at such hours...you are lucky not to be knifed by some druggie desperate for a hit...do not, DO NOT, do that again. And I thought the "shilling in the meter" was a bit of the past.

The funny thing was, I didn't realise it was so early until afterwards. It was so light outside that when I heard the doorbell, I assumed it was the postman or something, and that it was 9ish, and stumbled downstairs. I do rather wish that our door had a peephole though!
Monday 12 June 2006 6.59pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:

Mine was at 8pm at night - I certainly wouldn't open the door to someone at 1am!

Regards,

Loafer
Monday 12 June 2006 11.03pm
Do coin electricity meters still exist?
Tuesday 13 June 2006 9.45am
THat's what I was saying. I thought they were history.
Tuesday 13 June 2006 7.48pm
She might have had a key or card meter that you top up at a newsagent.
Not really 'scams' but:
One of my neighbours asked me for 50 quid a couple of years ago. I gave
her a tenner which I never got back and 6 months later she asked for
another tenner which I gave her and haven't had that back either. I see
her often at weekends and she has never mentioned the 20 quid.
Several neighbours also borrow my visitors parking permit from time
to time and always I have to ask for it back - it's never handed back voluntarily.
The last time another neighbour asked me for money saying her wages
had not been paid into her accountI refused and she has been very cool since.
I'm quite happy to lend someone a small amount and not have it paid back
as they then can't come looking for more.
Must say I have never had a stranger knock asking for anything.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: