The Anti-Leylanddii League

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 15 June 2006 11.57am
Perhaps if children were exposed to pollen they would have less allergies.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 16 June 2006 10.26am
Or grow apple trees so the children (and cider makers) can go scrumping
Friday 16 June 2006 10.59am
Suggested that ages ago. Not allowed in Sarah's park. Humbug

Friday 16 June 2006 11.22am
But surely if we plant some, they'll instantly be protected by the local anti-tree toppling league
Friday 16 June 2006 11.38am
I think there's an anti-anti-tree-toppling league

Friday 16 June 2006 12.01pm
How about the humble elder, grows quickly, cant make its mind up whether to be a bush or a tree. pretty white flowers for elder cordial, or black berries for wine or a rob...

one of my family bought a house complete with leylandi....8 of them about 20 foot tall...quoted 1000 plus....the price of removing them...
i've told her to bang some copper nails in and hopefully they will die and at least hopefully not grow talller...dont know if its true or not?
Friday 16 June 2006 2.15pm
you could 'ring mark' them that would do it.

basically you cut about 2 inches of bark out of the tree, in a circle all the way round, deep enough to get to the 'dead wood' this essentially stops any liquids essential to the survival of the tree from getting between the leaves and the roots.
Friday 16 June 2006 2.31pm
Thanks JonR...i had to think about that dead wood bit.....i think i understand it...:-)
Friday 16 June 2006 2.38pm
the only live bit of a tree trunk is the outside few millimetres, the tree grows in girth from the outside, so all the nutrients that the rest of the tree needs go up and down the outside layer, if you cut this connection, all the way round, the tree will die.
Friday 16 June 2006 3.25pm
I knew this site was educational...i never realised that JonR...makes it even clearer for me now!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network