Tate Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 13 June 2006 10.17am
For those interested in the ongoing saga of the the tower on Hopton St., currently still being 'enbaled' it is reported in this week's 'Estates Gazette' that the oweners of the warehouses on Hopton St. known as 'Bankside 4' (Grosvenor Clan) are in talks with Meyer Bergman to purchase the site, with a view to 'combining' the two sites.

My guess would be that this may be good news (if it comes to fruition) for those opposed to the tower being built and its scale.

Also in the weekend's press was news of Tate 2 - an H&DeM extension on the S.West corner that will double the gallery space. Costed at 130m and ready in time for the Olympics.
Tuesday 13 June 2006 10.39am
I saw the H&DeM extension in The Sunday Times - funny ziggguratty building that reminded me a bit of Lieberskind's rejected extension to the V&A - in a less flamboyant fashion.

If this requires a separate thread please let me know (James) - but does anyone know what the progression is with the the 'hat' that is proposed for the top of the Mustard - coloured tower (Piers Gough / CZWG) opposite the Tate & Tate Tower ?
Tuesday 13 June 2006 2.12pm
Every time I walk past the glob theatre and look up at the Tate modern I imagine how awful it would be to see that Tower leering up behind to the bank side power station chimney.
Wednesday 14 June 2006 2.20pm
It could be worse - as towers in SE1 go it's a pleasant design. Guy's Tower gets my vote for the ugliest.
Wednesday 14 June 2006 2.31pm
In todays Independent feature on Southwark, penned by Piers Gough, it must just be coincidence that 2 of the 4 'landmarks' he picks are designed by his own practice. He also makes the claim that Victor Wharf 'works as an extension of the South Bank perambulation. It makes the street come alive'.

Nomination for pseuds corner possibly..and certainly a huge overstatement about what that oddly lumpen new building brings to the locality - but that's only my opinion...
Wednesday 14 June 2006 2.34pm
Here's the article:

And details of that Southwark Effect exhibition:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 14 June 2006 3.43pm
that's a rose tinted view ,

It was the Globe theatre and the Tate modern ,and the renovation of Borough Market that put Southwark's riverside on the map,
The Tate modern nearly ended up as a block of flats, and Southwark council took some time to come round to the idea of the globe, both of which happened in the late 90's
Before the Tate modern and globe were created no one walked up the river ,it was deserted ,

And that building on clink street mentioned in the article is just leeching of the crowds waking from the globe to borough market.

And that article also make no mention of the subject of this thread the Tate tower which was and still is as far as I'm aware still apposed by the Tate modern.
Saturday 8 July 2006 1.40pm
Seems likely that as rumoured Grosvenor Clan have made a deal with Meyer Bergman re. the Hopton Street site.

There's a pre-planning exhbition next Friday/Saturday for the whole Bankside 4 and Hopton Street site (now known as the Holland Street Buildings) - details here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 8 July 2006 8.44pm
Mickey said, ".....and Southwark council took some time to come round to the idea of the globe....."

Factually not true. Southwark Council sought the Stopping-up Order which allowed the realignment of Skinmarket Place (which ran through what is now the Globe Theatre) in 1982. That Order named the Globe Educational Trust as the organisation that would re-instate Skinmarket Place, something which today they have not done and are committed not to do because it no longer suits them. The reality is that the Globe took more than a decade to get the money together.

Monday 10 July 2006 9.49am
James is correct - there has been a 'conditional' exchange of contracts. I understand it is subject to the Holland St. site being given planning permission by the end of October, hence the short notice for the 'consulatation.'

It is intended that the old paper factory will be returned as 'public' space or have a low rise pavillion built on it as part of the deal.

Both Southwark Council and the GLA approve the plans.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: