Recycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 2 April 2003 7.28pm
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone new of any recycling services in the shad thames area. The only ones I know are at Tesco Surrey quays and you need a car to get to those, which I haven't got! Maybe there is a private company that does collections? I e mailed the council a couple of times a few months back but they never replied! Hopefully you lot will be more helpful. Thanks

Jo
Thursday 3 April 2003 10.44am
Jo, you'll be very luck to get any joy from Southwark - I was told that I was lazy by someone at the recycling department because I wasn't prepared to walk half a mile with all my bags of bottles! There were some on Tooley Street, incidentally, which hopefull will be replaced once the roadworks are finished. That'll be 2005 then!
Thursday 3 April 2003 5.38pm
well sarah i guess that makes me lazy too!
I remember the ones on tooley street but i won`t hold my breath while i wait for them to be reinstated!
Sunday 6 April 2003 3.54pm
Don`t quote me on this Jo, bu t I believe a recycling facility wil be incorporated into the new More london site next door to kens palace. Among the shops and flats and public space the have planned. I hope this is the casem I am turning into a one woman bottle bank!

Sunday 6 April 2003 9.36pm
There are loads of recycling facilities at Tesco on the Old Kent Road, which you can get to on the 78 bus from Tower Bridge. A pfaff I know, but worth it if you're committed to recycling....
jas
Monday 7 April 2003 4.05pm
I've discovered some recycling facilities in Jamaica Road (North Side, at the nearest housing estate from Shad Thames, halfway to Bermondsey tube station).

The least the borough could have done is to put up a sign in Tooley St. as to why, when (in advance), and for how long the recycling facilities were moved, and the location of the nearest facilities.

Jas.
Monday 7 April 2003 8.36pm
Thanks for that Jas, I will go and look for those! I agress the borough could of informed us of the Tooley Street closure. Just shows how commited they are to recycling.
Tuesday 8 April 2003 11.37am
I recently asked the Council whether our block of 26 flats could be included in their Blue Box scheme, where they collect waste paper and take it for recycling. I was told that for flats like ours, they would provide a Euro bin for newspaper etc and collect it on a weekly basis. Great - until they mentioned that we would be charged for this service - only about 50/year but when the 'normal' refuse collection is 'free' I cannot imagine that the majority of people in the flats would want to cough up extra to pay for paper recycling. Also, the administration involved in getting 26 individual flat owners / tenants to pay would be difficult, even if they agreed to it, and inevitably result in a few 'keen greenies' paying for everyone else... all just to help the Council achieve their recycling targets. Another example of their committment to recycling ! If they seriously want to increase recycling, surely they should reimburse people for reducing the amount of stuff they throw in the bin, not charge them for recycling it ?

In any case Blue Box/ Euro bin only collects paper, you are still left with cans, glass, textiles to get rid of so its not much help - you still have to make that journey to the recycling centre, if you can find one (though they did say they were hoping to extend the Box scheme to cans and glass).

And as for throw-away nappies (my pet hate, and I use them for my baby !), Southwark is predictably not one of the more enlightened London authorities which promotes or even contributes towards nappy laundering services - they could not even suggest a local service, yet the amount of 'disposables' in Southwarks waste bins must be horrendous (I have since found 2 local nappy laundering services which I am going try out).
Tuesday 8 April 2003 2.08pm
Surely you don't need to use disposable nappies. Surely you can launder them yourself - a washing machine can be bought these days for about 200, which would soon be paid for by savings on nappies. Generations of mothers laundered nappies by hand, a washing machine and modern soap power is an absolute boon.

By the way, are you certain that disposable nappies are that much less green than sending nappies away to be laundered (pick up, delivery, commercial laundering, all that soap powder polluting the drains etc. etc.)
Tuesday 8 April 2003 3.00pm
mmm , good point - I have tried washing cotton nappies but living in a small upstairs flat makes drying them difficult (no outside space) and I'm sure using a tumble drier on a daily basis is not particularly energy efficient (to buy enough to last for several days without washing would cost a fortune). We also have no room to be soaking used ones in buckets etc, and as for the smell ..... no comment ! Also, working full time means that time, for me personally, is a bit short ..... the laundry service seems the best alternative, especially as they are working in the SE1 area anyway and therefore petrol use etc is not a major issue. I'm not saying it's perfect but I used a laundry service previously ( before the company went bust) - it was very efficient and cheaper than the so-called 'eco friendly' varieties of disposables.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: