Jam Factory disruption

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 3 April 2003 4.27pm
Apparently local residents have had enough of the Jam Factory Builders not giving a damn about the impact the work is having on the local area - okay long term it will be good but dust and noise as well as building shaking - bad.

Some of the local home owners/tennants are trying to get something done... does this effect you? It must be even worse to have bought a 300k flat and live in the middle of that madhouse!

Would be interested to hear comments both good and bad....

Thursday 3 April 2003 10.25pm
David .. the people who have it worse are those who Angel Properties have duped into moving in already.
Monday 7 April 2003 10.26am

You mean those who are living 'on-site' already...

If so I can imagine they're not too happy.

Are they charging full whack already?

Monday 7 April 2003 10.36am
my friend has been forced to complete even though he doesn't have a front entrance (it's basically a load of scaffolding and will be for another 9 - 12 months, no parking space, and the one side of the propery that has windows will be covered for some time yet meaning he is in total darkness!
Wednesday 9 April 2003 3.11pm
how come they are taking so long over its refurb? There are buildings next to the hotel on Tower Bridge Road that are at least as tall as the factory, that were just a twinkle in the developers eyes this time last year. But at my reckoning the Jam Factory redevelopment has been going on for at least 18 months.

-MM- The Nature of Monkey was Irrepressible.
Wednesday 9 April 2003 3.26pm
More like 2 and a half years counting the demolition - the dust is ingrained it's taken so long....
Saturday 12 April 2003 4.22pm
I live near the Jam Factory (and have done since it started unfortunately) and it has reached the point where my neighbours and I are going up the wall.

Have been to see the site manager who advised that the entrance is moving in a few weeks and the landscaping is being done now as people are moving in to the first part. All it means for us locals though is that work starts on the other parts of the site so the problems continue.

I could fill pages on the problems we have and still have despite numerous complaints. If anyone is interested I am more than happy to share the problems but be warned it makes depressing reading.

I am in touch with the council but it takes time for the wheels to turn and I'm not convinced we are being taken seriously. In fact nothing has been resolved as yet.

It is reassuring to hear that I am not alone in getting frustrated but my windows rattling and the ground shaking as the work continues. A few of us have even tried to complain to the lorry companies but they were downright rude and haven't taken any notice.

The guy that cleans the streets for the council is also in despair. He told me that the developments on Bermondsey St are totally different and they even wash the roads at night to help alleviate the dust. No sign of that round here.

I would love to get involved in trying to sort this out so where do we go from here? At least with more than one people might start to listen.......

Saturday 12 April 2003 6.38pm
I'm not sure if this will help, but it could be worth trying the Noise Team at Southwark Council, if you haven't already. 7525 5777. Some people in my flats called them about noise from a factory next to us as they'd started washing lorries outside their building - and hence our flats - at 6 a.m. which had a detrimental effect on the residents nearest the factory. The Noise Team were very effective at negotiating between the company and the residents, with the result that the company moved the site where they washed the lorries away from residential buildings.

I know the problems near the Jam Factory are much worse than that, but they may be able to sort out some of the problem at least. They really are very, very good, and a credit to Southwark Council.
Monday 14 April 2003 8.40am
If anyone would like to speak further and perhaps get together so we can put a united front to the Council - especially as they will soon be starting on building on the green walk car park... mail me at drwbaker@btinternet.com

I have spoken face to face with the Regional Director of Mansells and things have certainly improved with regard to weekend working and noise on saturdays but I really believe that some structural damage has been done to adjacent buildings (owned by Southwark mainly... hmmm), the road in Green Walk has been damaged by constant heavy vehicle traffic, the litter from the builders (I know it's kids too), Prioress Street being used as a car aprk for the residents in the jam factory already (it is a private road), the ingrained dust in adjacent buildings as well as not being able to open windows and washing your car weekly (will Mansells re-imburse me - no didn't think so)

Over to you....

Tuesday 15 April 2003 11.52am
my email is on its way.....

I just wanted to share a little irony with you that I discovered today.

Situation - site workers using street as car park so lorries can't get through so we get the noise etc.

Called the noise team as suggested - they wouldn't come as it's between 8am and 6pm. Not as helpful as I had hoped after enduring over an hour of reverbating windows & noise.

So, called the parking enforcement only to find that because of the Jam Factory traffic & dust our yellow lines are now too faded so they can't enforce the parking!!!

We have to wait before they paint more lines before anything can be done so the Jam Factory win again!

Ever feel invisible?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: