Grange Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 4 April 2003 2.36pm
Does anybody know what's happening on the corner of Grange Road and Alscot Road? I know there are some new flats being built next to The Fort, but the nice green bit adjacent, ie the front of Bermondsey Spa is all boarded up. I can't find anything on Southwarks website.

Friday 4 April 2003 8.23pm
Abel - hope this helps. Taken off the selected developer's web site. There was a public exhibition of the shortlisted developers' proposals about 18 months ago. Expect to see a development of about 6 storeys in height when completed.

Rooff Residential Ltd. have teamed up with Pollard Thomas & Edwards to develop the site currently known as Bermondsey Spa - Site A.

The joint venture team has been selected as "preferred developer" by Southwark Property for the mixed use scheme.

The scheme is designed to provide an innovative solution to today's requirements for the development of rarely available Inner City sites.

The brief from Southwark was for a mixed use scheme to incorporate housing and a new Health Centre.

Current proposals provide a mixture of housing tenureships including social affordable housing, intermediate housing (key worker accommodation) and private residential units. A mixture of 1, 2 and 3 bed flats are proposed.

A new Health Centre is planned for the ground floor, allowing the move of the Grange Road Practice (currently opposite the site) into brand new, larger and better designed accommodation.

Other commercial uses will include a new Pharmacy, Dentist and Children's Nursery together with a Car Pool for short/long term hire requirements.

The close proximity of the site to the Tower Bridge Road/Bermondsey Square junction provides a good transport connection mode, for journeys into the City, The South Bank, and towards the South East of London.

As well as the mixed use accommodation proposals, the Scheme will also feature a high level of design quality together with Environmental Conservation elements.

The Scheme will have its own individual water supply from a new borehole, reflecting the site's historic links with Bermondsey Spa.

Daylight and views over the park will be maximised in order to achieve the best solutions for living environments. The external appearance of the building will not differentiate between the internal types of housing mix.

High levels of interior specification will also set the "bench mark" for a development that will provide an exciting and valuable addition to the built community.

The proposed timetable for the project is for an early Planning application this summer with a start on site in Summer 2003. Completion of the scheme would be at the end of 2004 to Autumn 2005.

Post edited (04 Apr 03 21:26)
Monday 7 April 2003 8.46am
Abel
There is a website about the Spa area - www.bermondseyspa-southwark.com.
It has some info about what is going on but probably the most useful bit is the contacts list. Try the Community Co-ordinator Pascale Rosenbloom who seems quite helpful (though I am still waiting for info from her about when the park will be refurbished and the play area open again). If you find anything out, can you post it ? thanks
Monday 7 April 2003 12.12pm
Thanks. I am rather disappointed though about the building of a new block there. Essentially it will block out the half the view of the spa from the road. Does anyone know what is happening with the closed petrol station just before bridge view court - couldn't they have built something there instead of destroying a chunk of the spa ?

Monday 7 April 2003 1.19pm
I think they are building something there as well. I haven't been able tofind out anything about it yet, but a couple of years ago there was a petition against the proposed development there in the petrol station itself.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: