Adopting a cat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 22 June 2006 1.04pm
I'm looking to adopt a cat (or a kitten, but pref. an adult cat); we went to the Celia Hammond animal shelter in New Cross, but they said we were unsuitable as I'm too young (at 24). I sort of got the feeling that they didn't want to give their cats away to anyone! Are there any other cat shelters in SE London? Does anyone have any recommendations for good shelters?
Thursday 22 June 2006 1.15pm
someone is advertising a cat called Tigger who needs re-homing on gumtree.com
maybe you could try them? Gumtree often has postings like this where someones cat (often an adult) needs a new home as they moving or their circumstances have changed for one reason or another...
Thursday 22 June 2006 1.22pm
we got ours from the vet we just phoned up and asked if anyone's cat had kittens, dont know whether this approach would work today! how silly to say you are to young at 24 for the responsibilty of looking after a cat?
Thursday 22 June 2006 1.25pm
Battersea dogs home have cats as well
Thursday 22 June 2006 1.41pm
Thankyou! I know it's subjective, but I think I'm quite a responsible person, I have a lovely border collie (who has retired to the countryside now I live in E&C) and I've looked after a fair few feral cats in my time. I just got the feeling that the shelter didn't want to give any of their cats away, it wasn't very welcoming! Off to Battersea tomorrow, I think. I'll keep an eye on Gumtree - it'd be nice to give an elderly cat a nice home for its twilight years.
Thursday 22 June 2006 2.22pm
One other option to consider if you're looking for an adult is the cat clubs. There are often lots of "pedigree" cats who need rehoming for the same reasons as those who end up in shelters, and the cat clubs often take charge of finding them new homes.

I don't make any great claim for pedigrees over moggies, and you may think a cat from a shelter deserves better. However, you may find more cats who are happy to live indoors that way than in a shelter, where most of them are outdoor cats.

A good example (and where I found my "much loved and often discussed on this forum" kitty, by accident) is http://www.acasites.co.uk/ - Rehoming.
Thursday 22 June 2006 2.57pm
I forgot...the cats protection league has loads of poor old cats looking for homes in their twilight years.
Thursday 22 June 2006 3.30pm
I also tried Celia Hammond and was rebuffed- they basically said I could only have 2 cats as I work all day. This despite the fact that I told them my flat isn't big enough for 2.
I ended up getting a kitten eventually from a lady I found on Gumtree- Maude is the apple of my eye- she sleeps most of the day when we are out anyway (my fiance actually set up a time lapse camera to check this!!!). Having a kitten is hard at first but Maude was housetrained already and is an absolute joy, and it is very rewarding watching them grow and develop a proper personality.
Monday 26 June 2006 11.53am
Contact Andrew Kirby Veterinary Clinic on Grange Road. They have contacts with people who find homes for strays. I once found a lovely stray that some cruel sod had taped up in a cardboard box and left on the street. We took her in for a few days but our other cats freaked out, so we took her to a lady that Andrew recommended. The cat was rehoused very quickly and was very happy with her new home!
ood
Monday 26 June 2006 8.54pm
my partner and i tried to adopt a cat three years ago and contacted/visited no less than seven shelters, including some recommended by friends. none would offer us a cat as we live on the third floor, despite the myriad of cat flaps in our block and direct access to an outside staircase. one shelter (possibly battersea?) were about to come on a visit when, in giving directions, my partner mentioned 'near the children's playground' (a TINY, hardly-used area for toddlers). the shelter person immediately said she would not bother to carry on with the placement as 'kids can be cruel.' one of my partner's friends with a huge property and land near brighton was told he could not adopt a pug 'as they need to be around women'. the friend is gay. 'but we have a housekeeper who works 35 hours per week' he protested. not good enough, no pug.

we turned to a Loot 'free to a good home' ad and now are blessed with a most lovely pud who adores stalking around the courtyard and has made friends with all the neighbours. she finds no problem at all finding her way up the stairs. i will never donate to a domestic animal charity in this country again.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: