Local plumber for small SE1 job?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 23 June 2006 4.33pm
Hi all,

I have a small domestic plumbing job at my flat in SE1 (fixing a broken tap) - can anyone recommend a good, reliable plumber that will travel to the area?

I have called some of the numbers recommended previously on the SE1 forum and they do not take on small jobs like this.

many thanks if you can help.
Friday 23 June 2006 6.44pm
After similar head scratching we settled for Pimlico Plumbers - the charging schedule is very clearly defined and so disputes less likely. HOWEVER, since you mention taps...I got PP in to fix the fact that my HOT tap had taken to dribbling COLD water. Plumber told me on arrival my tap was full of limescale, limiting water flow, meaning combi boiler not firing up as it should and thereby not generating hot water. He took the tap apart and soaked it in descaler - voila. He apologised profusely for the fact I had to pay for min. 1 hour for a five minute job and offered to look at any other plumbing related jobs while he was there to make up for it. It's the easy option IF you think your job is straightforward.
Monday 26 June 2006 11.52am
Thanks so much - I've called them. Hopefully it won't just be a case of descaling the taps!
Monday 26 June 2006 12.29pm
My experience is that PP can be variable and expensive. However if you have water gushing out in the middle of the night or need someone urgently, it is worth paying whatever it takes.

For jobs that can be scheduled in I often use Blue Plumbing who are a Waterloo based family firm, following an earlier Forum recommendation. 020 7401 3416. I have found them to be reliable and trustworthy, and certainly for minor jobs often half the price of PP.
Monday 26 June 2006 10.19pm
Hi im a d,i,y.handyman . Here my contact number
07960174202 .Phillips.dec@ntlworld.com ask me for reffrences and ill send them to you.douglas
Monday 26 June 2006 10.58pm
oh, well thanks for the new suggestions, too late for me this time around but I'm sure others will make use of them..
Saturday 3 February 2007 11.00am
Just curious - what price per hour should one expect to pay for a plumber? If you can say whether it's ex or inc vat please, so I know what to expect to pay.

Saturday 3 February 2007 2.10pm
Has anyone tried these guys...

are they any good? how do their prices compare to PP?
Monday 5 February 2007 8.26am

It sounds a lot but if I get away with 70ph I think I am doing well. It really has to go above 120ph before I get shocked.

Many plumbers - and builders - live an hour of more out of London, and so you have to factor in the cost of two hours journey time. Plus congestion charge and parking and journey time between jobs. Plumbers, or at least the ones who deal with boilers, need CORGI registration which is amazingly expensive.

If you have a job that can wait, it is worth doing in the summer. Then you can get fixed price quotes, hopefully from people who will want steady work outside the peak season. Another way that can bring bills down, especially if like me you need to have annual landlord certificates, is by giving a trusted plumber the keys so he can go in whilst passing rather than making a special journey.
Friday 11 January 2008 4.30pm
I used blue plumbing on the recommendation of this forum and I do not think they provided value for money. They took 70 for a new fan for the boiler and didn't return for nearly three weeks. In the meantime I got in another plumber who fixed the problem - it wasn't even caused by a faulty fan. Now all blue plumbers will do for me is give me the fan which they bought with my money. A waste of 70.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: