Helicopters over Tower Bridge/ Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 25 June 2006 11.33am
I've been sitting outside for about an hour between 11-12 and having a relaxed Sunday morning read of the papers, but about every 5 minutes a helicopter buzzes overead, first towards Canary Wharf direction and then back. And then another appears every 10 minutes or so.

Apart from the noise, which gets increasingly loud and irritating once you start to notice it, can anyone enlighten me:

- who licences/ controls these flights, and are there any limitation on numbers, or are we just going to see more and more of them?
- Can I find what the timetable is?
- Where do they go to and from?
- And how much does a ride cost? (If I have to live with them a special trip might make me less grumpy).

Anyone else irritated by these flights?

(Although it's now gone silent for a while... :) )
Sunday 25 June 2006 11.54am
You might be interested in this thread:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/41161/page=1

Particularly the post from James towards the end which gives details of an enquiry by the London Assembly into various aspects of helicopter flights over London.
Monday 26 June 2006 11.40am
You don't mean the one with a Nationwide 'Come on England' banner beneath it do you? Most of the noisy ones are police 'doing their duty'. Other private ones are supposed to follow the river up to Battersea Heliport
Thursday 13 July 2006 12.20pm
This article in The Times might explain some of the helicoper flights
http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11250-2256126,00.html

The hotel [Hilton London Canary Wharf] has also launched what it is calling the Ultimate Business Package, which allows business travelers arriving at Heathrow to take a helicopter transfer to the Isle of Dogs and a chauffeur transfer from there to the hotel. Prices start ay 2,440. Another Hilton hotel opens later this year close to Tower Bridge.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: