Best Web Access in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 7 April 2003 4.49pm
I'm moving into SE1 and want to set up the best web access I can find - fast, reliable, easy to establish. Any recommendations?
R
Thursday 10 April 2003 10.23am
Virgin net - their standard ISP and their broadband are fantastic, completly user friendly and very easy to use.
Thursday 10 April 2003 3.23pm
Thanks for the info ... I'll check it out.
Friday 11 April 2003 3.46pm
You should look at Bulldog - if you want fast broadband access - they have 1mbit & 2 mbit lines as well as the normal 512k.

They work the faster lines for off-peak hours and so you get super fast access in the evenings and at weekends for reasonable rates.

2meg is 40 per month which is very good!
Monday 14 April 2003 10.01am
Hate to say it but I had a miserable time with virgin net so changed to BT broadband and am loving it...Much much better tech support than virgin ever gave me

Jai
Monday 14 April 2003 10.51am
foud this...

2Meg downloads... same contention as BT...

yoohooo... as soon as my contract expires with BT...

www.adslguide.org

Varkenslachter
Tuesday 15 April 2003 6.50pm
Ha!

Great Dover St Apartments, 100 megabit/sec connection to the university network which actually exceeds the speed of our connection to the academic network, JANET!

> 500 kbytes/sec on some P2P applications, bandwidthplace.com reports a speed of 2.7 megabits/sec (from the Internet) and some other speed testing sites are off the chart!

Please excuse me being a little smug and more than a little excited. Our network was upgraded a month and a half ago so it really is quite a novelty, moving from a 2 megabit/sec link for the whole campus to what it is today!

Regards,

Josh

Saturday 26 April 2003 6.35pm

I have 1mbit from Homechoice at 35/month.

Does the college have wireless links and if so, is there public access from outside?
Saturday 26 April 2003 10.13pm
The college (as yet) does not have wireless links: a trial was carried out recently (within the last couple of years) but since then no progress has been made.

I have made the odd enquiry as well as posted on the SU forum about it. A constant pressure is being applied :)

No doubt if/when it's implemented, locations may well be warchalked...assuming no WEP/authentication, which knowing the college will likely be instituted.

Josh

Monday 28 April 2003 7.10am
Tried BT broadband at 29.95, support useless and slow- -never admitted anything was their fault. Now pay 18.99 per month to "www.plus.net". I find thme brilliant, good support, quick to act (and appologise) when system breaks down. You can even earn a discount on your bill if you refer someone, and continue to receive a discount for as long as that person is a customer. If you refer enough people, you could even make money on the deal.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: