Elephant shopping centre even uglier

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 28 June 2006 9.04am
I think we'd all have to admit that the e+c shopping centre has never been a beautiful building, but it seems to have got even worse in the last year. A while ago they put big advertising hoardings up on it, but after a few months they came down again, and we're now left with big holes in the side of the building, and random parts of if painted white. It looks worse than ugly now, it looks a wreck! It's going to be there for quite a few more years as well...
Wednesday 28 June 2006 1.52pm
Six more years before it is scheduled to come down - demolition is promised in around 2012 (quite why it takes so long is unclear). In the meantime it will carry on stinking up the area. Perhaps we could get Christo to wrap it in the interim, or, as they have done in Berlin, wrap it a fabric printed with an image of a building which is not such an assault on the eyes?
Wednesday 28 June 2006 3.40pm
They have to finish the new homes and the new shopping areas before they demolish it, otherwise there will be nowhere for people to shop. It's more like 2010 for pulling down time. I will be selling tickets (my terrace looks right over the top of it).
Wednesday 28 June 2006 4.19pm
But will it be 2010? I see from the Elephant website that the new pedestrian crossings at the southern roundabout have already been delayed until "the first quarter of next year." If they can't demolish a few subways and put in crossings to schedule, what hope is there for a new shopping centre before 2020?
Thursday 29 June 2006 9.01am
MarkR wrote:
wrap it a fabric printed with an image of a building which is not such an assault on the eyes?

Suggestions please?
PJ
Thursday 29 June 2006 10.58am
I couldn't agree more about the pedestrian corssings. I have always had faith in the regenration process (stupidly) it seems. It is ridiculous that something as basic as removing the subways should be so long and protracted and to be delayed for until next year. Pathetic!
ADT
Thursday 29 June 2006 12.32pm
Paul wrote:
MarkR wrote:
wrap it a fabric printed with an image of a building which is not such an assault on the eyes?

Suggestions please?

We could put big eyes on it to keep people honest - might also make people drive better.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5120662.stm
Thursday 29 June 2006 1.37pm
How about getting students from the University of the Arts across the road to think up something for it?
Thursday 29 June 2006 4.21pm
Way ahead of you kids, it's already been done.The London School of Communications had a competition which I initated, and we selected a very nice logo which we are going to put on EVERYTHING...watch this space.
PJ
Thursday 29 June 2006 7.37pm
Jackie do you know why the removal of the subways has been delayed?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: