Allotments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 29 June 2006 11.22am
I was searching on the interent for allotments in the SE1 area and I found this link to southwarks councils list of allotments.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_16445.pdf

There is a contact called the Bermondsey and rotherhithe horticultural society on the list and I have called them a couple of times to no avail.
The number is answered by a machine that doesn`t give any details of the place, I have twice left a message and no one returns my call.
I have always fancied an allotment and this document doesn`t say there is a waiting list for the bermondsey ones.
I know they are probably in SE16 but I really don`t know where else to find information.

Does anyone know where I can find out more?

thanks
Thursday 29 June 2006 12.04pm
theres one down st james road on the corner/// one at telegraph hill still?
Thursday 29 June 2006 4.39pm
If you want to share one....I'd love it.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 29 June 2006 8.09pm
you know i`ve lived here for nearly 7 years and never seen any! I must walk round with my eyes shut. So do you suggest I go along and try and find someone to ask?

Oooo I dunno, i reckon there will be a waiting list, i'm never lucky ebough to get things that easy
Sunday 2 July 2006 7.45pm
Am doing some work on trying to get some old allotments reinstated - let me know if you're interested as I guess a joint attack might be more sucessfull !
Sunday 2 July 2006 9.14pm
sarahse1, count me in, where are they? I have sent you a Private message
Monday 3 July 2006 9.33am
Me too - I'd love to have an allotment.
Monday 3 July 2006 2.28pm
I know a couple of people that have allotments, so don't think they are that hard to get.

In fact it is almost the reverse. There are a number of community gardens, schools gardens and the like, who find it difficult to find volunteers to maintain things. If you were to ask around you might well find that all sorts of people were willing to allow you to garden and to keep the produce.

Another avenue might be your local housing officer. Older people tend to be allocated ground floor flats, which often come with small gardens. Yet they can't maintain them, which is doubly sad as it makes the whole block look neglected. Someone has probably thought of it before, but if people who cannot garden could be matched with people who want to garden, and you get to share the veg, it would be a pretty all-win outcome.

I can confess. We have just got landed with a part of the school garden to maintain, which has delighted my son, but seems to me like yet another responsibility in an already over-crowded life.
Monday 3 July 2006 2.33pm
How big a part Sarah?

If you can grow veg there, I'll help you in return for some of the produce. And I won't eat your children either.

Could there be a better deal than that?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 3 July 2006 3.47pm
... but note that he's not making any promises on behalf of Mrs I.

I'd also be interested in an allotment campaign, being a very frustrated grower too. Let me know. Where are these allotments, sarahse1? Are they in SE1?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: