Westminster House Mardyke Street in 1923

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 2 July 2006 3.29pm
Does anyone know about this building in Mardyke Street in 1923. Its where my grandmother lived.
I think Mardyke Street doesnt exist any more.
Sunday 2 July 2006 6.19pm
Westminster House doesn't seem to be named in Booth's poverty notebooks of twenty five years earlier, but the street sounds to have been very poor.

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/notebooks/b365/jpg/171.html

On his Poverty map Mardyke Street and Crosslet street appear as two short pairs of black lines on the north side of Townsend Street as "Lowest class. Vicious, semi-criminal".

There would have been some slum clearance going on by the 1920s, so you would need to check the street directories etc in Southwark local history library to confim whether Westminster House was one of the nineteenth century blocks or one of the replacement blocks constructed by the council.

Everything in the area that wasn't blitzed was swept away in the early 1960s to build the Mardyke Estate
Saturday 1 June 2013 9.31pm
I Lived in Mardyke Street between 1948 and 1954. There were 3 tenement style blocks of flats 4 stories high and each block had 4 houses. I lived in Garfield House.

I can't remember where Westminster House was located. I have a photograph of Mardyke Street obtained from the London Archive.

The street and all the blocks were demolished around 1959-60, the street disappeared and all that's left is a huge tower block called Mardyke House.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: