Morocco Street Stopping-up (2004?)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 3 July 2006 3.20pm
Does anyone take an interest in that part of Morocco St which was the subject of a 'stopping up order' a couple of years ago. The order was granted on the basis that the part of the roadway to be stopped up would be turned into a public access area.

I've just found a dimensioned drawing of the stopped-up part of Morocco St if anyone is interested in checking that Galliard have fulfilled their obligations.

Wednesday 5 July 2006 5.05pm
At the risk of sounding dumb...what do you mean by a 'stopping up order'?
Thursday 6 July 2006 3.06am
Morocco St used to be a Public Highway to the west, beyond its current extent as it ends at the Galliard Homes development. Galliard Homes requested that Southwark Council apply for a 'stopping-up' order so that what was 'public highway' could become privately owned land, on the basis that the roadway itself was redundant.

A 'stopping-up' order is the only mechanism that I believe exists which can erase a designated public highway or part thereof.

The quid pro quo was that Galliard would then landscape this piece of land and maintain it as a public space.

I have just found a dimensioned drawing of the roadway as it was and wondered if anyone was interested in checking that Galliard had done their part.

Niall Connolly
Thursday 6 July 2006 3.12pm
If I have understood you correctly Naill yes they have. You can now walk to morroco street from Long Lane.
Thursday 6 July 2006 8.08pm
Although you do have to face down a ridiculous number of security cameras. I did wonder whether the developers consciously bought an apparently oversized model and/or some dummy ones in order to reinforce the impression you are trespassing when actually you aren't.
Saturday 8 July 2006 1.45am
Probably but I guess we should be grateful that one development isn't gated (yet).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: