Washing machine repair - help!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 11 April 2003 9.09am
Anyone recommend a company to fix our washing machine? ahhhhhhhh. water water everywhere....
Friday 11 April 2003 9.51am
If it's the machine itself then you probably better chucking it away, if it's something to do with the plumbing/pipework then I can recommend Pimlico Plumbers very highly. They don't have a call-out charge and are very reliable. They even arrive at exactly the time you agree, even if it is 6am!
Friday 11 April 2003 1.51pm
I knew it was out there somewhere......: <previous post>

- Author: Jan
Date: 06 Mar 02 07:07

Yes, Cooks electrical, based just past westmoreland road, been there years, what they don't know about washing machines is not worth knowing.
They are reliable, I have used them twice ( for two different machines) and have recommended them to others who have been pleased with them.

Cooks Electrical
Camberwell Road,
(Shop)

0207-703- 8781

also repairs vacumn cleaners iron etc., and has complete range of bags and spare parts for people who know what they are doing to repair things!
Saturday 12 April 2003 7.32am
I would NOT recommend PIMLICO PLUMBERS for any plumbing work.
They most fefinitely DO have a call-out fee 65 plus VAT and they Completely MISDIAGNOSED my boiler problem and recommended totally replacing it - for 2500!!!
Another plumber repaired the faulty pump in the end for 150 with half the call-out fee.

My washer broke last week - so I just called out the company responsible for repairing the particular make of washer.

I do NOT believe that "white goods" should be thrown away and replaced when they break down - unlike the comment above.
They are NOT disposable and hopefully with a bit of investment in repair will last another few years.
My washer needed a new circuit board and was repaired in 10mins for 120. It is 8 years old and works perfectly again.
Saturday 12 April 2003 8.38am
Hello Mark

If you still haven't got your machine fixed here is another "good bloke" His name is Cliff 07931540287 - he works around this area and I think he is terrific - I have had to call on him twice - both unrelated incidents and found him very very reasonable. I think his call out charge was something like 20 but he put it towards the bill anyway. His advice was good as well - he advised I keep my machine which I have hardly had any trouble with for over 18 years! It is a Hotpoint and he said they don't make them like that anymore and as it works perfectly keep it. Also he sticks a tiny see through label on the corner with his name, number and mobile!

Good luck
Teresa
Sunday 13 April 2003 5.58pm
well for every one good reference there is going to be a bad one, but I have found Pimlico to be very professional and they DO NOT charge a call out fee (well they haven't ever charged me one)
Wednesday 16 April 2003 6.30am
As a landlord I have had more dealings with plumbers than most. My understanding is that the plumbers at Pimlico Plumbers are not on fixed salaries and so are under some incentive to create work. Some have been first rate and the firm would be my first call for an out of hours emergency. But they need watching. My classic moment was when they diagnosed a leaking toilet as unfixable. Not only did I need a new bathroom suite but the whole room needed replumbing. Called my builder instead and he simply replaced a 10p washer.

I also had a guy who claimed to need a small part and disappeared off for two hours at premium rates to his favoured supplier - presumably somewhere on the North Circular. He returned to say they were out of stock. His answer, when I asked why he had not phoned first to check, was essentially 'duh'.

In fairness though they have also done some good work for me, but by any measure are expensive.

On most jobs involving branded stuff like boilers and white goods the manufacturer is a good place to start. Some have good service arrangements, others less so. Like others I hate chucking out perfectly good things, so I now I tend to buy stuff which has a reputation for reliability and good service provision. Essentially German and expensive - my lucky tenants.
Wednesday 16 April 2003 8.38am
I too believe that because white goods are old they should be not be chucked away....I had a Cannon cooker nearly thirty five years, then when that finally gave up the ghost, I bought a new fangled thing like a piece of tin which will last five if I am lucky. I have a Electrolux fridge freezer purchased in 1981, recommended by Which magazine, a good tip as I have not even changed the light bulb inside! My Creda tumble dryer was twenty years old when it broke. People are to quick to discard objects that could be fixed for a niminal fee.....
Wednesday 16 April 2003 1.57pm
But your 20 year old fridge freezer will wheeze and leak; it won't have insulation up to modern standards; its coolant will have leaked so it takes more electricity to run. You'll be paying more rather than less... and the minimal fee of Pimlico is (apparently) more than a new one! A tricky balance.
Wednesday 16 April 2003 2.04pm
Nah.....it's quiet and silent, does not wheeze and leak, unlike it's owner, the insulation is fantastic, it's economical.......
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: