Initial opinions about the Bermondsey area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 5 July 2006 3.12pm
just moved onto bermondsey street from NY and here's my two cents:

woolpack's garden is great, food is also good and reasonably priced -- televison arrangement is a disaster, however, so you can't watch the cup there; The Garrison is full of dweebs -- all day, every day, dweebs everywhere; bermondsey kitchen is expensive but worth it; on the other hand, Village East is a complete rip off; for drinking, i'm a fan of The King's Arms and his head. The Rose serves its purpose.

every night at 4am i hear this incredibly loud noise -- sounds like rush of water or ice or something. my neighbors hear the same thing so i'm not imagining it. wat the hell is it?
Wednesday 5 July 2006 3.26pm
Welcome to lovely SE1.

No idea what your funny noise is. Come to one of our socials and compare notes (or find tips on where to get the chaepest and best earplugs)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 5 July 2006 3.29pm
yorker wrote:
every night at 4am i hear this incredibly loud noise -- sounds like rush of water or ice or something. my neighbors hear the same thing so i'm not imagining it. wat the hell is it?

Hey yorker and welcome. Glad to see you brought the stifling NY heat with you !

Could it be connected to the Ticino Bakery ?

A word of warning, temperatures do run high when people move into Bermondsey Street and immediately start complaining about the noise / inconvenience of living next door to a working bakery. Not suggesting that you are, but you may want to check out the previous threads on the subject.

If you can persuade them to sell you a loaf or two (which they do sometimes to neighbours I believe) it's worth it. The bread is fantastic.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 5 July 2006 3.29pm
What is a dweeb? Am I one? Do I want to be one? I've always found The Garrison rather pleasant and have met some good peopole in there.
Wednesday 5 July 2006 3.34pm
Birdie,

I would say you are not, but then I am still recovering from discovering last week what a "dork" really is. I am sure I could sue my primary school teachers for comparing me to such a thing at a formative stage in my development.

"Dweeb" is almost certainly worse.

;-)
Wednesday 5 July 2006 3.47pm
could it be the sound of empty bottles being emptied from one large bin into a lorry, say?

'dweeb' certainly isn't at the plesent end of the name calling scale, but i didn't think it was horrendously bad.

so Siduhe - what is the real meaning of 'dork'?
Anonymous User
Wednesday 5 July 2006 3.55pm
Siduhe, I think you should sue! (If my understanding of dork is correct).

I just found this:

dweeb: n : an insignificant student who is ridiculed as being affected or studying excessively

I am going to be a student again soon but I have no intention of becoming insignificant!

;-)

Welcome Yorker - hope we get to see you soon
Wednesday 5 July 2006 4.01pm
JonR wrote:
so Siduhe - what is the real meaning of 'dork'?

There are differing views expressed on the interweb as to how true this is, but google "whale" and "dork" and all will become clear ...

P.S. Spot on about the bottles moving from bin to lorry btw, that could well sound like a rush of ice.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 5 July 2006 4.38pm
Oooh yeah, the noise of bottle bins emptying into the lorries is like that! You probably won't notice it after a coup[le of weeks - it's amazing what you can get used to.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: