Elusive Camel Under New Management

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
yas
Friday 7 July 2006 10.33pm
Went past the Elusive Camel the other day to watch some World Cup game and we were told it was under new Management. The Manager has ordered for all the TVs to be removed. And they have!!! ;(

I can't believe it since it was always packed out when a game was on. Bit annoyed since we don't have Sky!

Does anyone know somewhere local that will show the rugby at unsociable times? ie. 8am on a sat/sunday?

cheers
Saturday 8 July 2006 8.44am
Quite shocked at that news!!!

I'm not sure, but maybe worthwhile looking at the kings arms (sure its called something like that!), about 200m further east down tooley street. big screen and good food but not sure whether it opens especially for the early starts.
Saturday 8 July 2006 9.14am
The Camel chain has been broken up and both SE1 pubs have new names. (The 'Elusive' bit was officially dropped ages ago.)

The Tooley Street one is becoming the Bridge Bar & Diner and the Lower Marsh Camel is now the Camel & Artichoke.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 8 July 2006 9.53am
Great idea to take out the TVs just as the World Cup was about to start!

Pity it can't return to its original name, 'The King of Belgium'; the orignal nameboard can still be seen high up on the side of the building when going west up Tooley Street.

It will get confusing with the Bridge House, River Bar and Bridge Bar all opposite each other. You'd think people would choose names with a bit care!
Sunday 9 July 2006 12.00am
Went into the former Camel this evening,very pleasant it was too.We ended up staying to eat and the food was basic but good.Homemade burgers,fish finger sandwiches.They make a good jug of Pimms as well lots of fruit,mint cucumber the works. I will miss the sports as well but the new owners were very nice and asked about the sort of things the locals like. (no connection etc)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: