Fenced-in space opposite Lye Torng restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 12 July 2006 11.55am
This space just over the road from Lye Torng restaurant was fenced in for many years, it is on St. George's Road, just north of Elephant and Castle. but more recently opened up and there is a small sunken playground, but a bit grotty. Now I see metal bars all around it with'building site' notices. I notice the four or five quite nice trees have been cut right back too. Does anyone know what is happening there? We have so few empty spaces and it would be a shame to build over yet one more. Maybe the trees have just been pruned, but I don't like the look off it. No one local seems to know anything.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Wednesday 12 July 2006 3.40pm
I also live across that little green space and only noticed it when it was the scene of a suspicious death a couple of years back...It used to be overgrown and with wood fences all around, very dodgy and actually quite scary. But once cleaned up, it became a bit bare and so near the traffic that I can't see why anyone would bring kids there when nearby West Square and the War Museum park are so much nicer.
Wednesday 12 July 2006 7.52pm
I have never seen it as a place to take children, but if built up to normal ground level would make a nice space if the trees were left there, and maybe a seat or two, and either paved or grassed over.

Wednesday 12 July 2006 9.41pm
Is this one of the sites where Southwark are planning to squeeze in some flats for tenants displaced by the rebuilding of the Heygate???
Wednesday 12 July 2006 10.07pm
This one, perchance?

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2222

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 12 July 2006 10.24pm
Sorry, not even I (with my allegedly encyclopaedic knowledge of SE1) knew that the existing Southwark Council block (presumably part of the Gaywood Estate?) is called Prospect House.

Could cause some confusion with the new HQ of the union of that name in Leake Street behind Waterloo Station???

The image could be anywhere!
Wednesday 12 July 2006 10.38pm
Looks as though the principle of building on the site has been approved by the inspector of the Southwark Unitary Development Plan:

Southwark UDP Inspectors Report wrote:

Proposals Site 39P: Prospect House Playground, St George's Road

OBJECTIONS (list of objectors deleted - LR)

MAIN ISSUE Whether this land should be identified as an Early Housing Site.

INSPECTOR'S REASONING AND CONCLUSIONS

1.8.2.89 This 0.24 ha site consists mainly of a children's play area and kick-about area, together with 6 or so car parking spaces. Squirrels, foxes and birds are attracted to its open space. It is located at the frontage of St George's Road between residential blocks of 4/5 storeys to the east and 4 storeys to the west. Prospect House is to the north, a block of 11 storeys. The surroundings are thus mainly residential, being part of the Gaywood Estate. There should be no objection to further residential development here, and the 14 dwellings noted in the illustrative plans is a reasonable ambition.

1.8.2.90 Prospect House is sited in the centre of an open space which contains some good trees, and there should be ample opportunity to relocate the children's play area and kick-about area in it, or perhaps close to it. A position for these areas further away from the road frontage should result in less noisy surroundings. That would be of benefit to the children.

1.8.2.91 Ms Nugneri and Mr Flynn say that any residential development on this land should be for social housing only. I agree that affordable housing policies should apply, but special consideration should be given to the wishes of the people to be re-housed here. The mix of new dwellings should reflect the wishes of the same people, the capacity of the site and relevant housing policies, including Policy 4.3 Mix of Dwellings. The terms of the tenancies are more a matter of management than of land use planning.

1.8.2.92 This land is suitable in principle as an Early Housing Site and should provide a modest, but useful, contribution to the identified need.

RECOMMENDATION

1.8.2.93 I recommend that Proposals Site 39P be allocated as an early Housing Site and that the UDP be modified in accordance with the Southwark UDP 18th July 2005.

Are there more than 14 flats in the new plans?
Thursday 13 July 2006 7.41am
I may well be wrong, but the open space etc in front of Prospect House is a much larger space and I think may be the one referred to in the above plans. The small square space on the opposite side of the road near the Lye Torng which I was referring to is rather small, not sure but looks like about 60 feet square if that. Hard to imagine 14 flats and anything like the above illustration fitting into it.

Thursday 13 July 2006 8.17am
Believe me, anything is possible. Bloody St.George are RUSHING ahead to get their sixteen storey, 68 flat building up on our miserable little parking lot. The idea of this huge building going up on such a tiny footprint is beyond belief.
Thursday 13 July 2006 8.52am
Chavender is talking about the tiny play area right behind the newspaper kiosk by Elliott's Row and opposite the Salvation Army. The new building you are talking is on the other side of St George's Road. That will replace a basketball playground that is much lower than the street level. I find it quite stupid to build there as it is right on St George's Road which is so heavy with traffic that you can't open your windows. Also because of its position, the houses and gardens of the houses in Gaywood Street will not benefit from sunshine anymore.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: