registry office

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 April 2003 11.55am
I had the occasion to visit the Southwark registry office yesterday. We had a black taxi to transport a wheelchair, and pulling up in the forecourt as I tried to take the wheelchair out backwards with the user in the chair, the bloody thing caught between the cobbles! I was at impasse, neither could move back into the taxi, or out onto the forecourt. I had to get someone to enter the cab the other side and help me lift it down. The wholetime Don was at such an acute angle he was in danger of tipping backwards with me under the chair! I have several bruises on the top of my thighs and pelvis where the chair was wedged.

I spoke to a charming lady in the registrars about the lethal cobbles, not just for wheel chair users and carers, but also for anyone with sticks, crutches etc. She told me that they are unable to remove the cobbles because English Heritage refuses permission to alter the frontage. While I actively support any protection of Southwarks heritage, beautiful buildings etc., surely health and safety should overule them?

And what about equal opportunites, so no one in a wheelchair can register their childs birth? or make arrangements for a wedding or funeral?

Where can I get more information about English Heritage's powers etc?

I had to alter this post James sorry, but my previous one seemed to applaud the destruction rather than preservation!

Post edited (16 Apr 03 09:17)

jan
Tuesday 15 April 2003 12.53pm
Jan

Try this link ..

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/default.asp?wci=mainframe&URL1=default.asp%3FWCI%3DNode%26WCE%3D83

By the way, congratulations. Did you wear white?! ;-)
Tuesday 15 April 2003 12.57pm
Whilst obviously I sympathise with your bruises, and Don's non-vertical alignment for a short while, I am heartened to hear that at last English Heritage have managed to overcome excessive political correctness and are able to maintain our heritage sensibly.

Cobbles are a pest for girls in high heels, and not that comfortable in low heels either, but they are resilient, long lasting, a good tourist attraction and do not require replacing every 3 years... unlike paving slabs.
Tuesday 15 April 2003 1.26pm
Thank you Tony - in fact it was a tasteful shade of black ( and the bruises are blue! honest..)

Mapmaker, Don was reluctant I'm sure to be re-aligned as his old grey head was stuck under my skirt by this time looking at me stays......and me varicose veins.....

and honestly- visually cobbles are a delight, even though they ruin and scuff heels, but enough bumpf is spouted off about accessibilty for the disabled in public buildings, to be excluded by a disabilty by the registrars, opposite the hub of Southwark Council, where various committees meet, including social services is beyond me.....and Don! there must be a way to compromise?
Tuesday 15 April 2003 4.44pm
Jan - Id take my hat off to you (if wore one!) Cobblestones are really nice as long as you don't walk on them - let alone push a wheelchair! My mum can't stand the crooked pavements and kerbs when I take her out in her chair - God know what she would do if I tried pushing her over cobbles! Surely "justice here can be tempered with mercy"? Why can't they lay a wooden pathway over the cobbles? Not that expensive and can be renewed on a regular basis. My pet hate are the "bobbles" at kerb edges that reach all the way across the pavement to the wall! All for blind people? My a-se! If I can rick my ankles when walking on them what the hell must a blind person be doing - flying? Anyway how many blind people do you see walking about anyway?

If they wanted blind people to know they were coming up to a kerb why not have sensors on the pole next to the road and a twin in their stick or on the blind person's dog's harness? No one else would activate the beep or bell or whatever device they used and that would save everyone else's ankles. Alternatively the Government could supply us all with 100 trainers!
Wednesday 16 April 2003 5.48am
Cobbeles may look nice, but are painful for some people to walk on for some people. Yes blind people do find them useful and people pushing wheelchairs and babies buggies do not. I think you would be suprised how may blind people there in this country. But, our modern world seems to think that as something looks nice, it's ok. Why preserve something just because it's old? How often do we spend hundreds of pounds at the DIY store to revamp our homes just because we are fed up with the way things are and then protest about the demolision of an old church or building which nobody visits, then have public enquiries to prevent new buildings being errected. Human being are strange, aren't we?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: