Antisocial behaviour near the Manna Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
loafer Wednesday 19 July 2006 10.44am
Well I was impressed by the website - it says the centre was built by God - you wonder where he/she finds the time...

Regards,

Loafer
Jonathan K Wednesday 19 July 2006 10.16pm
mickyBoy_se1 wrote:
I live on Snowsfields about two minutes from the Manna Centre. No one from the Manna Centre has ever bothered me in the 4 years I have lived here.

I walk past there pretty seldomly, and from my own experience I guess you must have been lucky.

Getting my haircut at Malishi last week and two of the Manna Centre residents were leaning on their window and arguing... just made things less pleasently relaxing in there than normal and added a certin threat to the air. Been pestered by aggressive beggars at the junction of Melior Street too, the type who wont take no for an answer.

I don't know whether the centre does a good job or not but maybe a less densely populated residential area would have been a better location.
Niall Connolly Wednesday 19 July 2006 11.41pm
JonathanK wrote: ".........don't know whether the centre does a good job or not but maybe a less densely populated residential area would have been a better location."

When they opened up, in 1982/3, the area was less densely populated. They have stayed the same, its the area that has changed. Can they be held responsible for that and should they be penalised because of it?

Regards

Niall
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Wednesday 19 July 2006 11.53pm
Jonathan K wrote:

I walk past there pretty seldomly, and from my own experience I guess you must have been lucky.

Or maybe you were unlucky?

I have walked down there pretty frequently in the last few months and never seen any trouble.
Jonathan K Thursday 20 July 2006 11.33am
Niall Connolly wrote:
JonathanK wrote: ".........don't know whether the centre does a good job or not but maybe a less densely populated residential area would have been a better location."
When they opened up, in 1982/3, the area was less densely populated. They have stayed the same, its the area that has changed. Can they be held responsible for that and should they be penalised because of it?

Regards

Niall

No.
Jonathan K Thursday 20 July 2006 11.33am
The Lady Miss Jo Jo wrote:
Jonathan K wrote:

Or maybe you were unlucky?

I have walked down there pretty frequently in the last few months and never seen any trouble.

Perhaps I was.
easyrecall Monday 24 July 2006 12.27pm
I think people on both sides of this issue are being a bit harsh on each other.

If you support the work of the Manna centre, and believe it is a good idea to have such a service in the community, that does not mean that other people are snobs because they feel upset and intimated by the behaviour they experience.

Is it possible that people who frequenty walk past and experience no problems, are walking past at different times than those who do find it problematic? Maybe those who live beside it have had their tolerance eroded through over-exposure rather than concern for their property prices.

I have no idea whether there's problems or not, because I've never walked past the Manna centre when its open, to my knowledge. I was humbled to read the website and reading the list of sought-after items made me feel hollow to think of how I consider an excess of some these items a chore to dispose of from my own home (and workplace - clear out those mug cupboards and donate!). But I do have sympathy for those who feel that a small number of people are allowed to indulge in anti-social behaviour. Its all about balance I supose. I don't want to close down the local pubs because I'm subjected to noise, but I would if people started smashing windows in. We all have different points at which we "crack" and I'm guessing that first post was written when angry. Maybe Maeve could talk to the Manna centre staff about the problem, and try to spot if its worse at any particular time (dole day/after a social event) and see if the problem can be ameliorated.

We are only ever moving around people whose behaviour we find objectionable - homeless alcoholics, bored teenagers, SUV drivers whatever. I like the idea that the Manna centre is helping people but they have to move with times too and acknowledge that they are now in a residential area, rather than having first claim. (I'm sure they do acknowledge that actually).
hellsbells Tuesday 25 July 2006 2.46pm
I used to walk down Melior Street everyday to get to London Bridge Station and had no problems for most of the winter and autumn months, despite the fact that large numbers would congregate outside the entrance to the manna centre. However, as soon as the sun came out in the Spring of last year, a large group of obviously drunk and drinking attendees at the centre decided they would have fun by shouting abuse at me and following me up the street, which I found frightening and actually quite disgusting. As a consequence, I did not walk down that street again during the day.

I did, however, walk along there to get to the gym at 6.30 in the morning, until the mornings became lighter and they were all congregating there at that time as well, when much the same thing happened. I'm quite certain these experiences don't only happen to me, and I know a number of women in the area who won't contemplate walking in the vicinity of the Manna Centre and streets nearby in case they run into a group of the drunken / high abusers.

It seems to me that if the good people at the Manna Centre are prepared to deal with people with obvious social difficulties, they should ensure that they remain within the premises and do not harass other members of the local community.

It's all very well being a bleeding-heart liberal, but really, if one provides services to such people, then one has to be able to ensure that they are properly controlled and agree to such control so that their presence does not affect the rest of the community.
Emmesse Tuesday 25 July 2006 3.16pm
There's a similar crowd of Tennents Super-quaffing types who gather outside the City Mission on Webber St, near the Old Vic in the mornings. I've seen two female passers-by being shouted on/whistled at in the past few weeks. Is this just an SE1 thing or are there similar centres all over London?
Jan the old one Tuesday 25 July 2006 3.16pm
are you talking about prison?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions