37 degrees gym

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 33
Monday 17 July 2006 10.29pm
Is anyone else on this board less than ecstatic with the new 37 Degrees gym at More London Place?

Despite the hard-sell of a state of the art gym (and a premium monthly fee to match) they seem to be fairly slack at fixing things - the dryers in the changing rooms have been broken for nearly 2 months, the pool/sauna/steam is out of action this week, and there are still bits of basic equipment still to be purchased.

The pool has no lanes so any more than a handful of people is no good for anyone wanting to swim lengths.

It's still pretty quiet in there most of the time, which leaves the staff plenty of time to stand around chatting and having a good time - the interests of the members appear to be not their chief concern.

What are everyone else's experiences so far?
Tuesday 18 July 2006 8.23am
I was about to say it's reassuring that there are other people making the same complaints as myself and my partner, but that just makes the fact that they haven't done anything about it even more shocking.

Personally, the fact that it's fairly quiet is a bonus but that's where the bonuses stop. We have complained endlessly about the lack of swimming lanes (though I think they might have built the pool too narrow to fit more than two lanes which is why they are not addressing this)and the driers that don't work (how difficult can it be to mend them?) as well as basic things like emptying overflowing used towel bins etc.

The gym area itself is good, and I will persevere but I agree that their attitude certainly needs to change.
Friday 21 July 2006 7.05pm
I agree - I have mixed feelings about the gym. They sold it as a great alternative to the poorly managed, and kept, London Bridge Fitness Exchange.

But, aside from the new equipment and facility, I am not wholly impressed.

They told me that they would be installing boxing speed bags and heavy bags within a month of opening. I've now been told that probably won't happen until they get the next round of financing. (contingent on new members joining)

I was promised that the locker room would be getting toiletries. Hasn't happend. Not even a proper paper towel holder.

The swimsuit dryer issue is ridiculous. A brand new machine that won't work?

Also, the pool area, locker room, and showers are starting to get grimy, like they aren't getting cleaned each evening. As far as I'm concerned, locker room cleanliness should be a priority.

The sauna issue is an inconvenience that I'd expect a gym to resolve asap. Plenty of people use the gym to relieve stress - by working out, but also by relaxing with a steam.

I do think the staff is great - they are friendly and helpful, which is nice to see at a gym.

I really think the management needs to visit cannon's health club at cannon street tube. Such a nice facility. 37 degrees is charging their prices without the same service or offering. I'd probably be a member there if the location was just a bit closer to the Bermondsey area.
Friday 21 July 2006 7.19pm
There is one on Old Kent Road. Have you looked at it. Haven't been inside myself but was wondering.
Friday 21 July 2006 9.21pm
I thought this was going to be about the temperature in a gym. My spin class was cancelled today because it was 45 degrees in the room they do it.....
Saturday 22 July 2006 8.08am
shame about 37 degrees..i had such high expectations for it as a decent alternative to the drab and rather downmarket Topnotch..will have to check out Cannons
Sunday 23 July 2006 10.34am
do check it out - the cannons gym is fantastic
Monday 24 July 2006 6.10pm
Hope the gym improves BEFORE the influx of American tourists staying at the new Hilton invade ...
Monday 24 July 2006 7.47pm
Must agree I've been going for over a month now and not impressed at all. Shame really as it's very convenient and could be good if they sorted the management out.

When I joined the contract was no minimum term so unless it improves in the next month or so I'm cancelling. Are other people on a similar deal? If so membership could be going down rather than up which will affect their financing and things could get worse.
Monday 24 July 2006 9.14pm
I've never been there and have no intention of doing so, but my experience of private health clubs is that they are all dirty and badly run. With filthy swimming pools. And lethal slippery surfaces every where.

It would probably be more healthy to swim in the Thames.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 33

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: